Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bose amp / Aftermarket HU

My '02 C4 Cab is going in to the shop for a Kenwood HU/Nav install next week. I asked specifically about being able to use the existing Bose amp and was told that this wouldn't be a problem (this is a non-Most car, built 10/01) but have read here that this can't be done.

The shop I'm using has a tremendous reputation, so I'm either expecting a call stating that they can't do it or they'll find a way!!

What's the nature of the problem? I've thought about this quite a bit and done numerous searches but I can't imagine what the issue could be. all of the signals required to drive the amp, turn it on etc should be present on the new HU.

Edited by dvdude

Here is something to smile about ( maybe). I friend of mine worked in the audio business and competed against Bose. Here is how they described BOSE :

No hights, no lows...must be Bose

Cheers

HarryR :clapping:

I'd have to agree with that for home audio (probably most car stuff too). It's pretty much as sinple as this for me though: The Bose system in my car sounds rather good to my ears. The amp seems to be particularly fast (short rise time/slew rate) and seems to have excellent control of the sub (damping factor). Ok, the frequency response is rather odd, but good recordings sound great after much twiddling and recognition of the concept that, due to a rather aggressive loudness circuit, a particular set of eq parameters only really seems to work at one volume setting. vocals and acoustic guitars, I find, are particularly well handled,

The shop showed me an example of an audio system they'd installed in another C4 cab and they offered me a listen. My mental image of Porsche as a classy car was immediately shattered - replaced instead by visions of this pimp-mobile blasting it's bass down the road.

Really - I could even imagine the guy had switchable air-suspension so he could complete the image by bouncing the thing at traffic lights! It was only short of a furry dashboard

I never did entirely understand this fascination that seems to exist for MP3 jukeboxes either, I mean, throwing away 90% of the data during the compression phase then spending big bucks on amps and stuff to try to make it sound good just seems like an odd thing to want to do.

<dvdude exits soapbox>

I just don't want my car to sound like that! Each to his own I suppose....

The install has been postponed too (much to my chagrin) due to problems with the car dictating an extended stay in the dealer's service facility. Now scheduled for the week of 7/11.

Edited by dvdude

dvdude, it won't be a problem as i have done it. however, i wouldn't expect ur amp 2 last very long as i fried one in like a yea and a bit.

Any idea why?

no clue....my deck is rated at 50wattx4, the amp is at 45x6 and the speakers r 45 watt. maybe just bad luck the amp went..or maybe the amp didn't like the deck. 'm not much of an audio guy...i just kno what sounds good, and get someone else 2 do the install work lol

no clue....my deck is rated at 50wattx4, the amp is at 45x6 and the speakers r 45 watt. maybe just bad luck the amp went..or maybe the amp didn't like the deck. 'm not much of an audio guy...i just kno what sounds good, and get someone else 2 do the install work lol

You did connect the HU's pre-outs right? Shoving the HU power amp outputs into the Bose amp's pre-amp level inputs might explain things.... :eek:

dvdude, it won't be a problem as i have done it. however, i wouldn't expect ur amp 2 last very long as i fried one in like a yea and a bit.

Any idea why?

I have a Nissan Maxima with a Bose system, I had a 300 ZX TT with a Bose system and I do like them ( in the car) . The issue I have with powered speakers is the expense when something blows up ( and believe me it does blow up) and in general with the difficulty in making any changes to the whole or part of the system. That's not customer friendly...

Cheers

HarryR

C2 with Bose :cheers:

I have a Nissan Maxima with a Bose system, I had a 300 ZX TT with a Bose system and I do like them ( in the car) . The issue I have with powered speakers is the expense when something blows up ( and believe me it does blow up) and in general with the difficulty in making any changes to the whole or part of the system. That's not customer friendly...

Cheers

HarryR

C2 with Bose  :cheers:

It came as a bit of a shock really. I'd always been somewhat anti-Bose until I got the C4. I didn't even switch it on until after I'd driven it home. And to be honest, the radio is - well - :eek:

The CD caught me off guard, I loaded up the changer just for the hell of it, then found myself singing along to Sting in the driveway! Good job I had the top up!

Although it doesn't seem so good with the top down at highway speeds, I'm generally not listening to the stereo, much preferring to :drive:

Maybe the extensive work that Porsche did to optimize the audio (according to the 2002 sales literature) paid off, though that doesn't explain the funky eq!

:cheers: back at ya!