Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hydraulic lifters on these cars questions...

So I was looking at my camshaft and cylinder head and it appears to have some pretty bad scoring on them. 

attached pictures

is there a way to clean these up? Or am I just putting them back in as is? Unfortunately?!?

447FEA5C-B97F-4B88-978D-1243272021BC.jpeg

0704299C-2250-4855-A0E7-A945D5191286.jpeg

Edited by Johnny-5

• Moderators

Not really.  As there are no removable bearing inserts in the cylinder hear or cam cover, they simply cannot be bored or honed to clean them up as that would make the assembled cam bores too large; same with the cams themselves.

14 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

Not really.  As there are no removable bearing inserts in the cylinder hear or cam cover, they simply cannot be bored or honed to clean them up as that would make the assembled cam bores too large; same with the cams themselves.

I was going to use some fine sand paper but had a feeling that would be bad. So wanted to post it on here. I had a feeling that was the case. If I was to put in another set of cams it would probably mess those cams up. I guess i got no choice but to put these back in as is.

How long do you think this motor will last with that scoring? How does that happen? To long of an oil change interval? 

• Moderators
On 6/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, Johnny-5 said:

I was going to use some fine sand paper but had a feeling that would be bad. So wanted to post it on here. I had a feeling that was the case. If I was to put in another set of cams it would probably mess those cams up. I guess i got no choice but to put these back in as is.

How long do you think this motor will last with that scoring? How does that happen? To long of an oil change interval? 

Without physically seeing the entire engine, the answer to your first question would be a total guess.  As to your second question; using crap oil, running the oil too long between changes.  You should be running a high ZDDP content oil, changing it (and the filter) every 5-7K miles.

You could consider using a high quality oil like Driven DT40 with 5K mile OCIs.  You can buy it at advance auto parts using coupons for the 10 packs (not single quarts), when it's available.  It comes and goes, I stock up and check every few months if I need more.

Like JFP is saying, one problem with running cheap oils even at short OCIs is they shear at high temperatures turning the oil into something closer to water than a lubricant.

Edited by Silver_TT

Thanks for the responses I figured that was the case with the oil! This is a replacement used I picked about a month ago so don’t know the history on it. I ended up getting some bottle of liquid moly so will use that for now. I’ll pick up some driven on the next round. 

Regarding the variocam pads both sides are done and have been properly timed. Wasn’t as hard as I made it to be. Bank 1 is sealed just need to seal up Bank 2. 

Did have a question does Bank 2 have this small heat shield like Bank 1? I didn’t see it and saw there is a small screw hole for something was just curious if it was missing it. 

WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

Genuine Porsche Cylinder Head Heat Shield $4.00. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 996 104 233 01 996-104-233-01...

Attached a picture of the screw hole in question. 

9C4BD307-81B7-4B24-8938-5AE8134E8B75.jpeg

12 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

I'm not really sure on the usage of that small part.  You may want to check with a dealer parts department to determine if your year engine used two or only one.  The PET only lists one being used.

Ive looked everywhere and couldn't find anything that would go there online. Ill call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can shed some light on it for me. Just weird for it to have something like that and not have anything go there? But as you stated I only saw one and that was on bank 1. Thanks JFP!