Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P1637 Pressure sensor before throttle valve

I have a 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo.  I have owned the car 2.5 years and about 2 years ago I got this code and erased it and it did not come until recently.  I did some research and assumed it was the Manifold absolute pressure sensor just prior to the Throttle body.  The part was fairly inexpensive at $30 (0 261 230 042 Bosch) I decided that was probably it and installed the part.  The light came back within a few miles of driving and if I clear the code it comes back right away although it is passive at first (does not trigger CEL).  I also ordered the similar part by accident that attaches to the back of the manifold.  It takes talent to order the wrong part even though you wrote the part number down.  I decided since I had that part already to go ahead and install it and it made no difference.  Does anybody have any experience with this one?  The car is pretty much bone stock other than the Apple car play I installed on the PCM about 6 months ago.  I have 120000 miles and I perform all maintenance and repairs on it.  I have an Autel MaxiPro mp808 and it has pretty close to dealer level software and has the ability to read live data.  My next plan is to trace the wire in the harness to look for any defects but I think this will require intake manifold removal.  Anyhow I realize from reading these posts that we have some extremely intelligent guys and gals on this forum and I would appreciate any feedback or thing I should look at.

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

• Moderators

The part you replace is correct for the code, so the question becomes why the DME isn't seeing the correct data.  Does your live data read out show the pressure signal from the sensor moving in the correct directions (vacuum to pressure and back) when the engine is revved?  Are you sure the DME has never been reflashed (aftermarket software often interferes with sensor signals to gain performance)?

JFP thank you for your response.  Excellent point I assumed it had never been flashed but that is just an assumption based on a guess.  I will hook up my Autel and take a look at the pressures.  What is the best way to tell if you have a tune?

Update on this topic.  I drove to work the other day with the CEL on and I noticed the boost gauge was showing .1 bar while at idle and would fluctuate sometimes to 0.0.  I am wondering if I have a faulty sensor.  The car ran well and idle was smooth and RPM's did not fluctuate.  I only wished I had my scan tool with me to read values.  My next plan is to drive the car with the scanner hooked up and monitor the values while someone else is driving.

• 8 months later...

I wanted to reply to this topic to give an update.  I wish I had a definitive answer to this problem.  I decided to remove the Y pipe that the sensor in question is attached to.  I wanted to check it for cracks or damage or some type of leak.  I ended up breaking a hose connector on the bottom of this pipe that was very brittle. The hose was filled with oil and some moisture.  This hose was connected to the PCV (engine crankcase vent valve).  I decided to replace the hose and the Crankcase vent valve.  A month has gone by and so far so good.

• Like 1