Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has anyone here laid hands on an m96 x51 intake manifold? I am particularly interested in the details of the two sections that cross between each bank's manifold (what we would call, on our standard intakes, the"plenum" and "resonance tube") I have found some top view pics but I would love to know what the actual layout and shape of the passageways are.

Thanks!ee04214a83a06e1a462321a6b7b2cea6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Hey duck,

I was wondering if the geometry of the resonance tube and presence of the resonance flapper valve had changed.  I was mistaken and thought that pic I posted was for the 996 generation. Actually it is the 997.  I did find some pics of a jahre 40th that made it look like the plenum and resonance tube setup are the same as stock, and the only actual difference was that the runners for each bank were made of the cast aluminum.

Is this the same as on yours?

One thing I was still unsure of though was the plenum geometry.  I thought somewhere I read that the IPD plenums and Pedro's techno plenum were based on the x51 design. Funny thing about that though is that both of those plenums have been found to cost power when put on an m96 with stock cam setup (at least for the 2.7 and 3.2L).

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

It seems to me like that though the Jahre 40 was touted as coming with the x51 package, it seems like they didn't do the FULL package (like the 3rd radiator was not included) so maybe the intakes are different as well.

I can't wait to see what you come back with!

Hey
Just checked and mine is like the below pic. Two aluminium intakes connected with a rubber plenum at the “front” where the throttle body is mounted and then also a ribbed rubber boot between cyl 3 and 6.

47f99762534a5645bb3cc32f9b65e8b4.jpg

Not much room to take pics, but here’s mine. You can just see the ribbed boot.
76a4a861dab1d970f48fa95402c6d8e3.jpg

Also see the ribs here.
6055e4c6721195170c0d4f5bfa0300a4.jpg

So, much to my surprise it’s not one piece of aluminum.

As for the center radiator mine does not have that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, UglyDuck46 said:

Hey
Just checked and mine is like the below pic. Two aluminium intakes connected with a rubber plenum at the “front” where the throttle body is mounted and then also a ribbed rubber boot between cyl 3 and 6.

47f99762534a5645bb3cc32f9b65e8b4.jpg

Not much room to take pics, but here’s mine. You can just see the ribbed boot.
76a4a861dab1d970f48fa95402c6d8e3.jpg

Also see the ribs here.
6055e4c6721195170c0d4f5bfa0300a4.jpg

So, much to my surprise it’s not one piece of aluminum.

As for the center radiator mine does not have that either.

Thanks a bunch for checking duck.

It's amazing to me how inaccessible the engine is in the 996 compared to the 986. How in the world does anyone work on that motor?  I would think youd need to drop the motor to work on anything under there!

Yeah that’s right. When you get the airbox out there’s actually pretty good access to stuff. I had the A/C out too and then there’s a lot of space underneath the intake. Which reminded me I took some pics of that out of the way as well.

5fea733930bd5b534eb77d36528de65d.jpg

6bccf980b6a2e9c9cf587ee695e0fbfa.jpg

Thanks again for all the info. It's so odd seeing everything backward from the 986 setup lol.

Out of curiosity, something I've always wondered - how does the louvered engine bay cover keep water out?  Does the engine bay get wet during a hard rain or isn't he a system where the water gets diverted away from the top of the engine somehow?

Hey, good question. Had to go check again [emoji38]

The louvres are only “open” in the area where the fan is located and where the Intake for the air box I situated. The rest is closed off.

The engine doesn’t really get wet from above as far as I know.