Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

so many thing going on at the same time and now a click under load.

By the way this is not my car but my friends car I sold my 996 a few years back. I have been working on his car for years but I moved and I'm not close to work on it any more, but I going to make the 6 hour trip to bring his car to my house so I can see whats going on it it.

this is what he told me. 

(My friend) It all started with a noise then the car would not move. I was told it was the transmission I bought a rebuilt one, had it put in then the car would still not move then I was told it was the pressure plate then a new pressure plate was installed then a new clutch was put in. (at this point the car moved but made noise) then I was told the flywheel was bad I replaced that when I took it in for a new flywheel the transmission bell housing had a crack that when all the way around. the cracked had the transmission removed and the bell housing welded and reinstalled. Now when you are driving and you accelerate you hear a clicking sound coming from the back I was told that its the thrust bushing on the crank they are saying I need to rebuilt the motor.

(Me) I dont know how a bad thrust washer will cause the tick I can see a bad shaft or ring gear or transmission. He asked is they checked the endplay when the transmission was out and they said no. what I plan to do is first check end play then remove the transmission, clutch, and flywheel and measure the endplay.

what do you think it could be? can it be crank end play? what should the endplay be i'm going to put on my dial indicator and see what it marks. 

I have not driven the car or heard the noise yet.

Sorry for the long story. 

• Moderators

Crank thrust bearings generally do not make noise, when they fail, the crank journal adjacent to the thrust bearing simply tears up the engine case.

Clicking sounds under acceleration on these cars is often one of the CV joints going bad.  And long before allowing whoever is providing diagnostics on this car to empty the owner's wallet any further, there is a tool called the "electronic ear", which mounts multiple remote sound sensors on the vehicle before it is taken out for a test run.  Any decent shop should have one and can precisely isolate sounds sources very quickly.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks I agree I have never seen a thrust bearing making noise. I'm towing the 911 to my house for me to look at it and see what the noise can be. I will look into the electronic ear and see who around here has one. 

thanks again.  

• 4 weeks later...

I towed the 911 to my house and I was able to drive it. This is what I noticed as you are taking off from a stop and slowly moving off from a dead stop you feel the noise and the 911 pulses its like the clutch has a high spot and when it hits it you hear the noise and the car pulsates forward. I have the car up on the lift and I will be dropping the transmission tomorrow.