Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Permanent, Pending, and current DTC codes

Can anyone tell me the difference between permanent, pending, and current DTC codes? I have a 1484 Code in each of those categories. I can clear the current and pending codes, but the permanent, just like it's name says, isn't going away. 

I replaced my EVAP test pump, which I believe was the cause of these codes, but I feel that without being able to clear the permanent code that I won't know fore sure if the problem is fixed without clearing it out. 

Appreciate any advice, 

Mark

• Moderators

A "pending" code is just that, the system has seen it but has not triggered an alert just yet.  This is done as these cars often throw ghost codes that are not real, so the DME has to see the fault reappear a certain number of times before the code goes "current" or active and triggering the check engine light or other indicators.  If the fault does not reoccur the DME simply ignores it and no indicators light up, and the code vanishes from the DME.  Some codes are designed not to clear unless the DME actually sees that the fault has been repaired; things like seat belts, air bags, and ABS fall into this category as no fixing them is dangerous, and they often require the use of a Porsche specific scan tool to clear them even after the repairs are made.  I believe these are the codes that you call "permanent". 

In any case, if the actual fault has not been repaired, the system will continue to show it as "active", which is a requirement of the EPA to prevent people from just clearing codes before the car is inspected.  When someone tries that trick, the emissions test system will deliver a "not ready" message, indicating that the DME has not seen enough drive cycles since the codes were cleared to determine that the system is fully repaired and working.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Treejumps said:

That makes sense. Can you recommend a scan tool that is capable of erasing the permanent codes?

Porsche specific scan tools are few, far between, and not cheap.  The PIWIS system which the dealer's uses is a lease only item and costs $20K for the first year.  A more reasonable alternative with about 80% of the PIWIS capability is the Durametric system which is a lap top software packing that comes in two flavors: Enthusiast for about $300, and the Pro for a little less than $800.  There are other standalone units that claim to be set up for Porsche, but most are lacking in their capabilities. 

• 9 months later...