Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bi-Xenon Upgrade for Cayenne S

Loren (or anyone else),

Are you aware of any control unit differences that would prevent me from undertaking the Bi-Xenon upgrade science project? I checked with my dealer, and it looks like you can buy the requisite parts to do the upgrade. What you would likely NOT get out of the upgrade would be the headlight washers and the auto-leveling/light bending features. Neither of these is crucial to me as 1) I keep my light covers clean (avoids the glare problem) and 2) I do not carry heavy loads that change the vehicle's geometry.

From the diagrams I saw (without part numbers! :soapbox: ), the housing assembly comes with all the basic parts. Thus the order would include the base housing, the ballast, the bulb itself, and the wiring harness pigtail. Do the Cayenne manuals describe any other differences between the halogen and Bi-Xenon setups? Just curious.

Since I bought my "S" off of the dealer's floor, and it was an aearly run, the dealer had not ordered the car with Bi-Xenons! :censored: I'm getting tired of driving with halogens and want to upgrade to Bi-Xenons. I know that Porsche has not released a Tequipment upgrade, nor has anyone else, but this should not be a big deal. I did this upgrade on my 03 ML350 and it worked like a charm. The upgrade required some investigation on the wiring harness and movement of some pins in the pigtail to line up properly. Once done, I got my MB service tech to change the control unit setting from halogen to Bi-Xenon and it all worked fine! (Apparently, MB manages the voltage and amperage to the headlights, so a setting of halogen prevented the ballast from getting enough juice to fire the lights up. It caused the lights to strobe madly.)

Anyway, would apprecaite your thoughts on this before I go drop north of $2K on a science project! :o Thanks.

Toby

Thanks Loren. I'm just re-surfacing from having to re-build my machine (computer) all day long. :soapbox: Anyway, I'm just about done, so I will check it out. I also have some pricing for some of the Bi-Xenon parts. It's not cheap........

Thanks again.

Toby

Edited by Toby Pennycuff

Loren,

Thanks for the drawings. Do you have the pages that show part numbers ofr items number 16 and 21 on the Bi-Xenon side and item number 17 on the halogen side? These are the pigtails that connect into the wiring harness on the body. Thanks!

Toby

P.S. - the Bi-Xenon unit price (#1 in the drawing) was quoted by Park Place Porsche-Dallas at $522. Bi-Xenon bulb (#2)= $220. Ballast (#15) = $356. Cable (#21) = $34. Cable (#16) = $34. Yowser! TBP

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there!

I know I may be light years behind you in answering, but anyway, somebody else might find this useful.

My Cayenne S (MY2004) has a retrofitted Bi-Xenon kit instead of the original halogen, fully working. Inside of each housing are two units for the high and low beam respectively. Every work was done inside the housing, that is, you can take the housing out of the car and do all the wiring work on your kitchen table =) The back covers fit back on so no humidity is able to slip in, very clean work.

Hope this becomes useful for someone.

[Was this a kit that you put together using the parts specified in the earlier postings, something you bought somewhere, or something installed for you?

Thanks

quote name=SOH' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:20 PM' post='135154]

Hi there!

I know I may be light years behind you in answering, but anyway, somebody else might find this useful.

My Cayenne S (MY2004) has a retrofitted Bi-Xenon kit instead of the original halogen, fully working. Inside of each housing are two units for the high and low beam respectively. Every work was done inside the housing, that is, you can take the housing out of the car and do all the wiring work on your kitchen table =) The back covers fit back on so no humidity is able to slip in, very clean work.

Hope this becomes useful for someone.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, have been offline for a while.

The kit was something that was installed for me. One ballast was installed in the housing itself (on the back cover of the opening) and the other one was installed under the housing, in a little space there (and holes drilled into the housing for wires and of course sealed completely afterwards). Works like a charm. Very good looking when the high beam is on beside the low beam, two blue-ish beams instead of the original one =)

SOH

guess you dont know what he wanted to achieve, what Toby wanted to achieve by this thread, here and on the other longer thread that he has wrote. the point was that he wanted to use the OEM Bi-xenon lights. the difference between this and yours is that the entire Lamp is different, and also the Bi xenon is not just 2 more xenon bulbs, is using just one bulb and has a little metal cover on it that moves in-out, quick, so that it gives that quick response. if you flash yours, you'll not be able to get the same quick response, cause it takes time to warm up. as I understood you have on driving lights Xenon and you added another 2, but the car didn't had Xenon at all from the factory.

I have followed his research and been encouraged by that; so I bought the OEM bi-xenon head lamps. IMO they are easy to fit if dont care about the active lights, the ones that flash when you turn left or right, and make them start when you turn on the driving lights, like many are using them.

and thats just my .0002 cents