Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996.2 | Cracked head? Need help in diagnosis of video

Hi all, 

(youtube results linked below)

Well here I am again with a quick diagnosis based on experience. 

(cap is new and expansion tank fairly new also)

(no intermix present)

I have noticed coolant disappearing, after which it was identified that some pipes were leaking and we proactively changed the water pump as well. Exterior leaks disappeared, however I have noticed that the coolant level keeps decreasing to MIN after longer (100km) drives. I keep refilling to the same effect. We checked radiators etc. and all seems to be fine. Pressure test as well. 

Mechanik stated it’s likely a cracked head. So I decided to buy the amazon head gasket kit to test. 

As for the results, I let the engine get to nearly operating temperature. I did some revving and there are both bubbles and apparent vacuum which I do not understand. 

In terms of the video. 

Cold (6 celsius, 42 fahrenheit)

the beginning is just the end showing that there are no bubbles in the liquid whilst at near operating temp. Also for sanities sake I put the blue liquid on my hand and next to the exhaust to confirm that it works. Fluid only changes a bit in terms of color, please compare start to end. 

6:55 1st rev

12:36 2nd rev

reaches near operating temp. 

17:10 3rd rev

Is the head gasket blown? Why does the fluid keep going to the min mark after the refill? 

Thanks! 

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 7.53.45 PM.png

• Moderators

Interesting test idea, but if you want to definitively evaluate the engine for cracks anywhere in the cooling system, the correct way to do it is with an cooling system pressure testing rig:

spacer.png

This tool will allow you to properly test ANY cooling system, using the correct adaptor, by pressurizing the system to 18-20 PSIG, and then watching it for 15-20 min to see if it drops.  If it does, first thing you check for is external leaks. which is done by adding a small quantity of cooling system YV dye, running the system, and then inspecting all possible leak points (seals, gaskets, hoses, etc.) in a darkened garage with a UV light source:

spacer.png

If there is even the slightest leak, the UV dye will light up like a Christmas tree; if nothing is found, the leak has to be internal to the engine.  At that point, a leak down test is in order to determine where (which head) is the problem:

spacer.png

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators
On 11/23/2022 at 9:40 PM, CarPlebs said:

I have noticed that the coolant level keeps decreasing to MIN after longer (100km) drives.

If the car has a Tiptronic gearbox, an internal eak from the cooler can cause this phenomenon. Check the ATF oil for intermix with cooling water, the gearbox can be destroyed in a short time.

• 7 months later...