Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car quit on track; replaced Fuel Pump, Pump Relay and Fuel Filter. Still won't start...

OscarAH1W

Okay, car has been running great with new cats:  no codes, easy inspection, etc.  THEN, shifting at 6,000 rpm the engine quits.  After coasting into pits, pulled 8 codes, 

P0202 (Fuel injector circuit open) along with the other 5 cylinders, and 0036 and 0056, HO2S heater control sensor 2 (both sides).

Everyone to include my Porsche Tech friend figured it was the fuel pump.  Got the new one from Germany and when I pulled the old one, the rubber hose had not split like is so often the case.  applied some power and yep... still working.  Replaced it anyway and nothing.  Ordered new relay and filter.  Relay?  Nothing.  Replaced filter today (52,700 miles; i know, it's a 48000 mile part... anyhoo)  When I drained the fuel out of the output side of the filter, it was BLACK and opaque.  Replaced filter, still won't start.  Is there anything I can do short of pulling all of the injectors?  Seems odd that all of them would quit simultaneously.  There were no misfires prior to the engine quitting, it just died.  No hesitation under acceleration to speak of... a little bit at low RPM but never a problem and seems like it had always been that way...  Looking for advice on next steps... Could it be the fuel pressure regulator?  If I get the thing started again and driving, I'll replace the filter in a few hundred miles...   Again, the whole thing quitting at once seems like something prior to the fuel rail.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution found.  Spoke with my Porsche Tech friend here and though he was looking at injectors after seeing the blackened fuel, he told me he thought he remembered these cars having a fuse for the injectors.  Like me he wasn't convinced that some contamination would foul all 6 injectors at the same time.  He mentioned that the 0202 etc fuel injector circuit open was likely electrical.  When I went to the wiring print in my service manual, there it was on C row:  Ignitiion; Fuel Injectors; O2S Heater 30A.  Pulled it and it was blown.  Replaced it and fired right up.  Though it ended up being a simple solution, the troubleshooting revealed some other issues:  Old style fuel pump where rubber hose had not ruptured (yet), nasty fuel on output side of filter...so some good preventive maintenance and with everything new, the car runs much better.  Thanks for all the help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The last entry on this one... so the Fabspeed Cat replacement I did a year and a half or so ago did not have as much slack in the O2 sensor cables as the factory install... ran them as best I could to avoid chafing/burn through... turns out both chafed through and that is what caused the 30A fuse to blow.. looks as though the new ones from Bosch (Bosch part number/price on the box, Porsche part number laser printed on the sensor... different box discount was $200 per, LOL.) have a second protective sleeve so that coupled with removing the connector from the plastic bracket in the engine compartment, I have slack AND extra protection...Thanks again for all you have done for me and for everyone else on the forum.  Happy Christmas all!