Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window fails to close, crunchy sound

Hello:

I have a '98 boxster, and the passenger's window does not roll all the way down; only about halfway. This is accompanied by a horrible crunching sound.

Otherwise, the window operation is normal; when you open the door the window does its "roll down a few millimeters" trick, convertible top operation...

Before I go trough all the trouble of taking out the door panel, does anyone have an idea of what I need to replace/adjust?

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

My 99 started the 'crunchy sound' last week...

Started with the front end of the window not dropping down when the door handle was pulled, the sound started a week later. After a week or so it would sporadically retreat about an inch after being rolled all the way up. Neither the front or the rear of the window drops with handle movement any longer.

Removed the door panel, air bag, speaker and insulation. All appears to be normal (as best I can tell with a mirror). The plastic gear coming out of the regulator looks fine. There seems to be a fair amount of slack in the cable that traverses the door. No metal or glass shavings apparent.

Thoughts on the 'crunch'?

Sounds just like what happened to mine which I have just taken to bits. Cable was snapped, and had become snagged in the 'reel' thing at the back of the motor, hence grinding all the casing away :cursing:

Anyone know whether replacing the cable is a DIY job? Also, can the 'reel' section of the motor assembly be purchased on it's own as I think the motor itself is fine? The only bits that are actually broken are a couple of plastic mouldings and the cable, but I can see this is going to cost me hundreds of pounds!!

Sounds just like what happened to mine which I have just taken to bits. Cable was snapped, and had become snagged in the 'reel' thing at the back of the motor, hence grinding all the casing away :cursing:

Anyone know whether replacing the cable is a DIY job? Also, can the 'reel' section of the motor assembly be purchased on it's own as I think the motor itself is fine? The only bits that are actually broken are a couple of plastic mouldings and the cable, but I can see this is going to cost me hundreds of pounds!!

Yes - the cables can be replaced. There is entire sub-forum for Boxter Top Issues and Solutions

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showforum=46

Hope I'm not missing something obvious here, but it's the cables for the door window that are broken, not the top. I can't see anything in the Boxster top Issues forum about the windows?

Nope - I was the one who posted like an idiot. :oops:

I really should avoid posting on this forum during the daytime when I'm fully awake <_<