Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

double din install

Hi

Having picked up my 2000 Boxster S yesterday and cruised around for about 100 miles since then :D I now realise the sound pack she came with isnt worth a cent! dont know what upgrade it is but i have a cd player, door speakers and an amp and CD changer in the front luggage area?

I would like to install a double din unit (probably kenwood touch screen) as I have an alpine sat nav system ready to go in from my old car anyway.

Having done a few searches on the matter it seems that I can move the climate control switch panel down to the lower part of the dash if I use the same trim panel as the cars with PCM installed so should be able to pick this up from an OPC?

If I do this and install a standard double din unit will I need any additional trim parts actually around the double din unit or will it fill the space left by the oem head unit and cliamate control fully?

Also if anyone has already done this could you help me with the autoleads part numbers for ISO connection of the head unit. I also assume that I may require a lead for the speakers connections as well?

Did a search for pictures of a similar install but couldnt find any that hadnt been professionally done my garages so dont know if anyone here has done rthis (I'm sure you have :notworthy:

any help would of course be much appriecated as I dont really want to pay someone to do this as I would normally do this sort of thing on my previous cars (albeit not porkers!)

many thanks in anticipation

Perry :) (UK Boxster owner)

I haven't got around replacing my HU yet so I'm looking for reply from your post for advice.

I have done a little upgrade on the speakers and amp and here is my 2cents.

Amp:

I upgraded my stock 40X4 watt amp with McIntosh MC440m (50X4 + 100X2). This is an awesome amp.

Speakers:

I replaced my dash speakers with Infinity Kappa 4X6 plates which consists of a 4" mids with 3/4" tweeters. The plates are made out of plastic so you can sanding to fit under the grills. They are 60watt rms so running 50 watt to each plate is perfect.

For the door speakers, DO NOT trash the OEM speaker enclosures. You can replace the speakers with a pair of 5.25". I have a set Polk dx3055 component set installed. The mids are slighly bigger than the OEM speakers so you have to use spacers to mount them and make sure they are sealed. I have a 100watt running to each set and they are LOUD. You will suprised!

I have the rear speaker set from Porsche which has 4 3.5" and each is 6 ohm. I have about 30 watt running to each and crossed at 250 hz. I would recommend this because it gives a full body and sourround sound.

Concl:

The Infinity plates are pretty loud and may sore your ears because the sound reflects from the front windshield. For the doors, a component set will give lots of mid-bass. If you have a sub, I think a pair of high power coax will do.

I hope this info will help you in someway.

Kdanh, what do you mean by 4X6 plates? Did you mount your Infinity to a custom plastic plate first, and then mounted the plate to the OEM grill or just straight speakers to grill? Do you have a photo of how it's mounted?

I am upgrading my POS OEM speakers soon. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

The 4X6 Plate (INFINITY KAPPA 462.5CFP - 4 ohm OR Infinity Kappa 462.7cfp - 2 ohm) see attached pic. All you have to do is sanding the plates to fit the opening on the dash and put the grills over the plates. When available, I will take the pic of how the plates is mounted.post-5151-1123170298.jpg

Edited by kdanh

• 3 months later...

Hi Perry190,

I am looking to install a touchscreen unit in the slot where the A/C controls currently are so I am interested in your question.

Did you get anywhere on this? If so can you post some pictures? I am installing a Mac mini into the car - I am good with Computers but have very little experience modding cars!

Joe

Hi

All you need to do is obtain a different lower trim piece from your dealer that goes around the AC controls and is a tapered shape. its about $10.

you can then cut out the cross member that is presently betwen the CD storge unit and the Head unit to enable you to add your double din. you can buy the whole new surround to take a double din from the models that had PCM but its hardly worth the expense as its only a case of cutting out the cross member with craft knife

heres mine sorted

raid%20web.jpg

hope that helps?

perry190 - thanks for the quick reply. Your setup looks sweet!

You seem to have done exactly what I want to do.

Is it a pain to move the aircon controls to the position where you have moved them to? I want to move my Headunit and the AC controls to the lower portion of the console.

PS I am in London so pricing in £'s is cool. Did you get the replacement trim piece from Porsche?

opps, its was about £6 from the porsche main dealer then LOL

just explain you want to move the AC unit down to where it would be on cars with the PCM double din unit fitted as standard, its just a trim that goes around the control unit that matches the tapered shape down lower.

the existing leads reach down to that point no probs so not a big job at all matey

dont come on the forums a great deal, so feel free to mail me at perry@perry190.fsnet.co.uk if you need to know anything matey

• 2 months later...
opps, its was about £6 from the porsche main dealer then LOL

just explain you want to move the AC unit down to where it would be on cars with the PCM double din unit fitted as standard, its just a trim that goes around the control unit that matches the tapered shape down lower.

the existing leads reach down to that point no probs so not a big job at all matey

dont come on the forums a great deal, so feel free to mail me at perry@perry190.fsnet.co.uk if you need to know anything matey

Hi im in the process of doing a similar thing, i want to move the heater controls down to the bottom, install a din motorised screen in its place and a din dvd player where the standard stereo goes. i cant see how to feed the cables from the heater controls down to the bottom it looks like its blocked off by the roof of the two compartments down below, do i drill through or is there an easier way. also if i buy the new facia from opc for pcm does it come with two seperate din holes instead of a double din as im using two units?