Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello, all.

I'm replacing the CDR-23 in my '04C4S Cab with a PCM II. I ordered the part (a kit, actually) and am sitting here looking at the parts. Besides mounting hardware, there's the PCM, a GPS antenna, a cable (?), and a 1x2x4" "module" that connects to cables on either end.

Can anyone tell me if the kit's complete? Are there instructions for installing these, or a clue as to how the various things connect? I ask because my local tech here sounds clueless...

Thanks!

Marc

• Admin

What is the kit part number?

What options do you have in your car already?

(CD Changer?, Amp?, Bose or Harman Sound?, Telephone?)

There was supposed to be a TSB instruction for retrofitting the PCMII but no one I know has seen it yet. I do have several hundred pages (368 to be exact) of diagnostic and troubleshooting info. This is pretty much all fiber optic so it's almost plug 'n play. You will still need a dealer with a PST2 to activate the additional components (once they are installed).

For what you likely paid (a bunch) I would press the dealer very hard for some install info. We are happy to help as best we can... :D

Sorry to have omitted important info!

I AM having a dealer install it, but I have less than 100% confidence that 1) I have everything I need and that 2) the tech will know what to do. Call it a hunch.

I have Bose sound, no changer, no phone.

The kit part # is 000 044 900 70.

Thanks for looking into this for me!

Marc

The PCM main unit is 996 642 224 04 A05

The cable is 996 612 009 00

The antenna is 996 642 206 00

The "module" is 996 642 205 01

There's a metal bracket/frame, a plastic bezel'ish thing, and a few screws.

• Admin

It appears as though every major part of the MOST system has it's own "control module" for communication with the CAN bus of the instrument cluster. DME, etc. For instance, the PCMII will shut itself down if the VIN in the instrument cluster does not match it's stored information within 30 seconds. My guess is that the radio and CD changer (as well as the other MOST components do the same.) Pretty slick... I guess. ;)

I called my Dealer (Jim Ellis here in Atlanta) and their quote to install a PCM 2 in an 03 S was shocking. I think they are way offbase, but they don't care much for my opinion.

I was considering buying a PCM 2 that someone removed from their 04 996. It would include everything except the GPS antenna.

They said the install is 7-9 hours for the PCM 2 and that with needed parts, antenna/harness/etc it will come to $1500-1700.

On top of that (and this is where I think they are WAY off base) - they said I must have the OBC installed and since I don't I would need the stalk added as well as a new console for another $1300.

Does anyone who has PCM 2 in their cars have the OBC stalk and the expanded OBC panel in the console?? I was pretty sure that PCM 2 cars do not have this since the OBC functions are incorporated (and improved upon) by the PCM 2.

My PCM II install went pretty much perfectly, and the unit is a joy to use.

Stupid old me forgot to take pictures of the kit, but I'll describe it here...

The functional parts of the kit are: The PCM II head unit, a Nav module that goes INTO the head unit, the GPS antenna, and an extension cable for the GPS antenna. The other parts were mounting hardware (a bracket, the fascia, and some screws). There is NO other harness or wiring needed.

The installation should take 2-3 hours at MOST (pun intended). There's really not much to do - take out the head unit, move the ventilation unit below, connect the cabling to the PCM II (radio antenna, gps antenna, MOST cable, and power cable), program with PSM2, and put everything back together.

The only piece I forgot to get was a trim piece with rounded bottom for the ventilation unit (which is at the lowest part of the "stack").

I'll post some "after" pictures later...

Don't know about missing the OBC though...

Marc

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
For instance, the PCMII will shut itself down if the VIN in the instrument cluster does not match it's stored information within 30 seconds.

Hi Folks,

I'm a bit of a refugee from the boxa.net boards in the UK, but can't find an answer to my question there, so hopefully you guys can help.

I have an MY03 Boxtser with the CDR-23 and speaker upgrade, and have now got the chance of a PCM2 unit from an MY03 996.

Now I thought my only consideration was the MOST bus, but this issue of the VIN number is worrying me! Obviously the PCM2 unit will have the VIN number of the donor 996, so is there a way to reprogram the unit with my cars' VIN number (via PST2 perhaps?). Also will my car have to be "told" it now has PCM2 installed (again via PST2?)

Thanks in advance

Alan

It is not a problem. The VIN code is stored in your cluster and MOST PCM2's according to my dealer's head tech and contrary to what I was originally told on many boards do not check for the vin, they just look for the MOST bus(they shut down if they can't find a MOST bus) and grab additonal information from the cluster about your car's config. This suprised me as I thought my PCM2 would have shut down after a few minutes, but I drove it many hours before I brought it to the dealer to have the software upgraded and the PCM2 programmed to match my car's config. You may have to have it programmed before using unless it came from a 996 cab, I'm not sure. I know my came from a coupe and I have a coupe.

The PST2 setup is easy for the dealer and should be less than an hour to config.

As for the actual install, I could not find a TSB on it, but collected enough information to peform my install and create my own instructions, See the DIY section for a summary of my install. In europe, I believe you said your from the UK, you may also have the cell phone module to setup, which is not covered in my instructions, but it should not be too difficult.

If you have any other questions, don't hesistate to ask, I researched for about 1-2 months to have all my homework done before I did my install.

Cheers,

Corey

Fantastic details on how to do this! Many thanks Corey, I'll be sure to follow your instructions!!

The phone module may or may not be a problem, but I'll deal with it when the time comes!

Edited by alanm_3

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, got the PCM2 unit fitted today and all seemed to go well, except I have no audio! The unit powers up fine, plays CD, radio will auto-store my local radio stations and the GPS status shows it's picking up 7 satellites, but no audio whatsover! I'm wondering if this would be resolved by having it "introduced" to my car using PST2? The unit came from an 03 996; my car is an 03 Boxster.

If I put the original CDR-23 in, I have my audio back.

Cheers,

Alan

Alanmn,

Yep sounds like your PCM2 does not recognize your amp. They are connected via fiberoptic and the most bus. When they program the unit the audio will be back as the PCM2 will recognize the amp now. If you do not have the Hi-Fi or bose option in your car you may have to hook up the "copper" audio lines and have the unit programmed for no-amp.

Cheers,

Corey

OK, got my OPC to reprogram the PCM2 and hey presto, I got sound!!

I'm left with one slight problem; since installing the PCM2 unit my battery has gone flat, and I mean FLAT, in the space of 2 days. I got the car started, used it for a day hoping that would recharge that battery, only to find the battery had gone flat AGAIN! Each time this happens the alarm sounds a couple of times just as the battery is on its last breath.

My first thought was maybe the amp had been left switched on when I removed the CDR-23 and since the PCM2 had no knowledge of the amp, it had stayed on and drained the battery, but it happened again the day after my OPC had re-programmed it.

I've had my car a year now and it was left out in the open (under a cover) for most of the winter. I would start it every couple of weeks just to keep the battery charged up and it never let me down, starting first time every time, but 2 days seems a very short time to go totally flat in what we call summer over here!

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers,

Alan

Have them upgrade the software in the PCM2 to the latest version. There was a problem where the unit would not fully shut off which is fixed in the software revisions...

To check what revision you have press the following buttons together...

<main> and <trip>

Then check the current software release versions that Loren has posted for the PCM2.

Corey,

I checked the S/W version on the PCM2 unit, it is at 2.0. I went along to my OPC who tried to update it, but they only have version 2.0 and say they haven't heard of a 3.0 update!

What I've noticed is that the unit is definitely not powering off completely, although the screen goes blank. When I go to the car after a day or so, the PCM unit is very hot and the battery is on its way to being flat; disconnect the power from the PCM unit and the battery is fine (after a recharge obviously).

Is there any way of getting hold of a copy of the 3.0 S/W update? The OPC told me all they do is put the CD in and the unit recognises its an update CD and does the update, so I guess if anyone had a copy of it, it would be a simple case of burning a CD with the update image on it, or am I being too simplistic?

I've noticed from other threads that Navteq don't seem to cover these units anymore, so whats the support path to get this resolved if I can't get hold of the update CD?

Edited by alanm_3

3.0 software is only for late 04' pcm units. A question, do you lock your car. I think it may not fully power off unless the car is locked also. Even though it should not kill the battery after such a short period of time as the screen turns off after 1/2 hour of car not running.

Let me know...

Corey,

Yes the car is locked using the remote. I think that date on my unit is August 03, so I guess it's not likely to be the s/w version then?

I even tried taking out the CD as I was certain I could hear it whirring even though there wasn't enough in the battery to start the car. I'm beginning to think that it could be that the unit could be faulty. Since I retro-fitted this myself I don't think I'll get very far with my OPC, so I'll have to find out who in the UK looks after these things (it's a Becker unit, is it not?). If so I know the local Becker dealer quite well.

Cheers,

Alan

• 4 months later...

Ok guys, it's been a while since I troubled you all with my PCM2 saga, but this is probably my last chance to solve this problem!

I found the authorised UK repairers for Becker and sent the unit to them. Upon recepit of the unit, they called Becker for some data on the unit. They were told in no uncertain terms that Porsche UK had instructed them not to divulge any information to 3rd party vendors and that any faulty units MUST go through the OPC network.

So, I call my OPC to be told that they have no process in place to send the unit back if it's not under warranty (which it would be if it was in the original 996 it came from), but the warranty is void if the part is installed in another car, and that I could take it up with Porsche UK with a view to finding out the repair policy.

So, I call Porsche Cars GB, tell them my story, offer to pay for the repair, to be told a week later that the policy is to replace ALL units irrespective of age, as they don't repair them!! (They say this includes PCM1 units too!), but since my unit has "some history" they have ruled that out in this case.

This leaves me in the position where the OPC won't/can't send it back to Porsche GB and the guy who can repair it, can't get hold of any information to do so!

So, as a last resort, is there anyone out there who can get me a copy of the 3.0 S/W update in ISO format to alllow me to upgrade the unit? Either that or tell me where my repairer can get hold of the information he needs?

Thanks in advance (and in desparation)!!

Alan

• 3 months later...

hey boys - about to add my PCM2 next week. My car is an '03 carrera coupe and the nav unit came from an '04 40th anniv. I do have the dreaded Bose system but am wondering if I can add a CD changer while I have everything torn apart. I remember you couldn't add a CD changer to the Bose system with just a CDR-23 but I was hoping that the PCM2 will allow me to fo it now?

Any ideas/pointers/part numbers....?????

thanks

frank