Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Having trouble hooking up Radio Mute wire to CDR23

I'm hooking up a bluetooth phone kit to the CDR-23. I got the $17 kit from Becker that includes the radio removal keys.

The instructions say to put the supplied wire into pin #3.

Actually, pin #3 already has a wire in it. so, I tried to put it where I think they mean, which is one of the two other open holes.

When I try to shove it in the hole, in all kinds of ways, it just won't go in there. I tried it with the plug in the radio and out of the radio.

af826f.jpg

and another picture of the hole I'm trying to put it in, which isn't #3, by the way.

af8r4h.jpg

Anybody been through this?

p.s. If anyone knows how to make my photos smaller, please let me know...sorry.

It doesn't surprise me to see at least one YELLOW/BLACK wire already installed in the pin 3 slot of the black connector (A) for your CDR-23. If your '04 C4S follows the standard used in previous year 996s, that wire goes to the female telephone prep. connector under the center dash area. The wire is the telephone mute input to the head unit. If you don't want to cut and splice into it at the CDR-23, you could do it at the prep. connector, or buy an interfacing male connector such as the 5001.524-276 power/phone mute cable & connector which Becker sells.

One thing you might want to verify though, is that the GREY/RED wire which Becker uses for their harness/adapter/connector packages is actually the mute wire. The only reason I say this is based upon Orient Express' experience with hooking up his iPod.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5190

He mentions he had to switch the GREY/RED wire with the BROWN wire on the Becker harness when he connected with the prep connector. You might want to e-mail him to be sure exactly what problem he encountered with his installation. It may have been unique to only the part no. harness/connector he used, or perhaps due to the method he chose to wire up his interface.