Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Choose a Door-Entry guard

Choose a door-entry guard  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you have?

I would like to install door entry guard, There are two kinds: stainless steel or carbon. Help me to choose.

Pics would be welcome. :thumbup:

Boxster, Artic Silver. Interior: Nephrite Green, Black floor mats.

Happy polling!

Edited by valcax

I have an '03 Boxster, and it looked like the only thing that was missing from the car were the door sills, or door-entry guards, etc. I found that the stainless steel guards made by Porsche were pretty expensive, and the carbon fiber even more. I am assuming that you already know that. I however, found a cheaper alternative. Porsche sells door sills for the Boxter S that are much cheaper than the stainless steel and carbon fiber. They are black and made of heavy duty plastic, and they sell for approx. $60.00 each at Sunset. If you don't mind the door guard saying 'Boxster S' this is an alternate. This is the way I went and they look good. If you want I can post a pic. Good luck! :jump:

I have an '03 Boxster, and it looked like the only thing that was missing from the car were the door sills, or door-entry guards, etc.  I found that the stainless steel guards made by Porsche were pretty expensive, and the carbon fiber even more.  I am assuming that you already know that.  I however, found a cheaper alternative.  Porsche sells door sills for the Boxter S that are much cheaper than the stainless steel and carbon fiber.  They are black and made of heavy duty plastic, and they sell for approx. $60.00 each at Sunset.  If you don't mind the door guard saying 'Boxster S'  this is an alternate.  This is the way I went and they look good.  If you want I can post a pic.  Good luck!    :jump:

Please a pic!!!! B)

Is it OEM?

I have attached the picture of the door sill.

The part number is 986-551-303-00-A03.

The list price for each is $57.48, but if you get it from Sunset it will cost you $35.64. I thought they didn't look too bad for 36 bucks. Anyways, good luck.

post-6310-1124756012_thumb.jpg

I have attached the picture of the door sill. 

The part number is 986-551-303-00-A03.

The list price for each is $57.48, but if you get it from Sunset it will cost you $35.64.  I thought they didn't look too bad for 36 bucks.  Anyways, good luck.

what a pity! No "boxster" inscription only!

Hi,

One thing to consider is that installing a Sill Guard can begin an endless cycle. Whichever you choose, instead of the sill taking the abuse, it is going to be the Sill Guard which takes the punishment.

Eventually, whether SS, Aluminum or CF, it is gonna look raggy once it gets all scratched and gouged. The SS and Aluminum can be buffed out to some extent (with the exception of the Logo), but the CF is gonna be the most difficult to restore (Ironic since this is the most expensive alternative).

I have CF Sill Guards installed on my Boxster. It is an aftermarket piece which does not fold over the edge of the Sill, but just sits on top. If positioned to the edge, it provides good protection. The upside is that this set only cost $125. It is genuine CF with a Boxster logo set deep in the resin. When it gets too shoddy looking, I'll probably just pitch it, but it is a fairly functional, good-looking, Dress-up Item. If interested, I will post a pic and a link.

Considering the expense and the sacrificial nature of all these Guards, the best alternative would probably be to repaint the sills every couple years or so.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

:lightbulb:

Hey,

I have stainless steel entry guards on my '01 Seal Grey Boxster (the ones with the Boxster logo) and they look great. The truth is that no matter what you do either the door sills or the guards will have to get scratched at some point.

But I like the guards, which you can replace if need be in the future. I would suggest you go for the stainless steel ones - It also depends on the color of your car. For example I think that Nephrite Green does not go very well with CF guards, but that's somewhat subjective to personal taste.

THX

Ibro

Just received my Stainless steel guards (with crests) from "sales4pnparts" on eBay. For $85.50 (delivered) they beat out the other alternative which was the rubber guards.

These ones have a curve over the sill to cover the edge (which makes sense). Will fit them in the week & post a photo. (They look better in person than the pic on eBay).

Hope that helps

OK,

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a couple of the Aftermarket CF Sill Guards I got. They were $125/pr. They do not wrap around the edge of the sill, but placed close to the edge do provide pretty good protection and have a nice look. Much better, in fact, than my lousy DigiCam. Anyone interested, msg. me offlist and I can provide the info.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

post-6437-1125123032_thumb.jpg

post-6437-1125123090_thumb.jpg