Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anybody Install New Stereo In Most Vehicle?

I am considering changing out my CDR-23 Head unit for a Pioneer Head Unit.

One of my main goals is to be able to switch the system back to the CDR-23 easily for resale.

One of my other main goals is to get Sirius. I don't think that there is any way to get Sirius radio to show the song names on the PCM2's screen, so I'm stuck with an aftermarket system, as far as I know.

Anybody have anything to add here?

i had recently changed out my head unit to sony explode mp3 , basically plug and play , installer also retain the factory dsp for me. just let the installer know u want to switch back (me too) if needed , so he would start cutting everything out

Edited by maninblack

• Admin
i had recently changed out my head unit to sony explode mp3 , basically plug and play , installer also retain the factory dsp for me. just let the installer know u want to switch back (me too) if needed , so he would start cutting everything out

He is asking about a CDR-23 which is a fiber optic driven system (MOST). It is not the same as the earlier "wired" sound systems.

He is asking about a CDR-23 which is a fiber optic driven system (MOST). It is not the same as the earlier "wired" sound systems.

ic ic , i guess i will wait till i get my TT before i return to this forum :) :oops:

I redid my whole system in my 03 cab. You need to do some research if you want great sound because you have almost no space in a cab for subs(unless you give up the rear seats). I went with a system from www.reusaudio.com. Rick knows his stuff and he has done 1000s of them. I live in Jersey so I guess you can't hear mine, but if you call Rick he may have done one close to your home. E mail me if you want and we can talk.

I'm afraid MOST isn't compatible w aftermarket. You'll have to re-wire everything. Since you want ability to easily reverse back to factory stereo, I'd recommend you don't bother messing with stock stereo. I think FM modulator is the only way to get XM through existing system which may not work best.

How's this for the stupidest plan ever:

Put in a stereo with navigation, MP3playing capability, Sirrius radio, etc.

I'd just throw it in one of the other slots in the dash and connect it to the CDR-23 via an FM modulator.

I know the sound would be mediocre through the fm modulator, but at least, I wouldn't have to change out all of those components. If they ever figure out how to make an Aux -in for the CDR-23, I'd switch over to that.

I realize that it's stupid, but it wouldn't screw with the factory audio for resale.

I've tried most FM modulators knowd to man, and have given up. Unless you live in a rural area with few strong fm radio signals there will always be some interference. I even hard-wired a modulator into my antenna jack with an on/off switch and the sound quality sucked. The Dension iPod connector is never going to happen, so I just live with what I have; IMO it doesn't make sense to rip out everything and install a new system unless you're keeping the car forever.

I've tried most FM modulators knowd to man, and have given up. Unless you live in a rural area with few strong fm radio signals there will always be some interference. I even hard-wired a modulator into my antenna jack with an on/off switch and the sound quality sucked. The Dension iPod connector is never going to happen, so I just live with what I have; IMO it doesn't make sense to rip out everything and install a new system unless you're keeping the car forever.

I would use a hard-wired FM modulator, I've heard that some of them cut out the rest of the Antenna input to the stereo to cut out intereference. Have you tried one of these?

cd changer to HU on MOST is fiber optic so you can't use it as an input. I wish that input is standard toslink optic cable with a controller wiring.

bottomline, what do you want to add to your existing system? If it's XM, just get an XM w FM modulator. If you want a new HU w Nav, get the whole system rewired w new amps.

I am telling you call Rick Reus. They replaced my system, used the factory speaker wires and left the MOST wires intact. The system is reversible and I keep and move the system he put in to the next car. It sounds unreal and is invisible, except the head unit. It is only a phone call and at least you will know what can be done.

• 2 weeks later...