Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 550 Special Edition Air Box/Filter

mee

From a dealer and others, the air filter part numbers are the same, however, there is no way that the large round air filter of the 987 will fit into the slot of a 986 air box.

So, the 986 SE air box must be different from the non-special 986. The question is whether it is the exact same as the 987 or some hybrid special design. If it is the same as the 987, this would imply that Porsche kept the mounting points/size/location at least compatible or that the 986 SE has special body mounting points/sheet metal etc. which I would guess would be unlikely. Also, I would guess it not too likely that Porsche would develop such a limited run Boxster air box. All speculation of course...

If the 986SE or 987 airbox could be fitted to earlier 986s, this might make for a nice "Cold Air Intake" that would likely pass smog as well for those where visual smogging is required.

KevinC, are you Kevin the Slow in NYC?

I posted a thanks for the pics on PPBB and referencing the diagram Loren had posted, but it got deleted by the PPBB police. I guess they don't like references to RennTech.org that much--only non-Boxster content is allowed these days ;)

kevin c is not kevin the slow

the references to the drawings were not deleted AFAIK

renntech.org refernces are allowed, kevin c and i frequently refer people here for the vast amount of technical knowledge

i'll take some pics for you if you like

aloha

steve

I posted a thanks for the pics on PPBB and referencing the diagram Loren had posted, but it got deleted by the PPBB police.  I guess they don't like references to RennTech.org that much--only non-Boxster content is allowed these days ;)

:rolleyes:

renntech.org refernces are allowed, kevin c and i frequently refer people here for the vast amount of technical knowledge

aloha

steve

Hi Steve,

That would be great! I'm really wondering if the air box is the same. If the MAF and piping is relocated like on the 987, then I'm inclined to think they are.

Your reference to renntech.org is still there on PPBB, so maybe just words like Loren are banned :angry: which is too bad since Loren's been very helpful to me and a great guy when I met him in person.

Thanks, again, Steve for helping to solve the 550 SE air filter/housing mystery.

• Admin
Your reference to renntech.org is still there on PPBB, so maybe just words like Loren are banned :angry:

Just to set the record straight... I was not banned from PPBB (to my knowledge) I simply stopped going there. Mainly because the admins there deleted (what I deemed as helpful) messages. After a series of email exchanges the admins there still could not tell why my messages were deleted - they were not commercial, not did I post links to other sites, nor did I flame anyone or any business. After they did the same to several other friends - I simply stopped going there. No animosity - I just don't need that.

wow, that's 2 cheap shots at ppbb in one thread :)

you should note that kevin c and i are both deputies on ppbb and have been members here since the beginning of renntech (check our member numbers)

links to renntech and the name loren are NOT banned on ppbb

you're gonna have to believe me that your post was NOT deleted, i have access to all the deleted posts, and it is not there

that said, i'll check my air filter out one day this weekend and email you pics if it is much different that the ones KTS posted

do you want to know about the air filter area only, or about the "snork" area too?

have a great holiday weekend

aloha

steve

aloha

steve

Hi Steve,

That would be great! I'm really wondering if the air box is the same. If the MAF and piping is relocated like on the 987, then I'm inclined to think they are.

Your reference to renntech.org is still there on PPBB, so maybe just words like Loren are banned :angry: which is too bad since Loren's been very helpful to me and a great guy when I met him in person.

Thanks, again, Steve for helping to solve the 550 SE air filter/housing mystery.

Aloha, Steve,

I would be interested in anything that would help me figure out what could be retrofitted to earlier 986s. On the 987, there is a large plastic shield outside of the snorkle. On the 986, the snorkle is directly behind the vents, but the airbox snakes around. It looks like the MAF, tubing, and even rear intake manifold crossover tube is different on the 987. If the 550 SE is the same as 987, then more parts are required than I'd hoped for, but nonetheless, I'm sure this would pass smog. The price may run me more than an EVO, though.

I'm not sure what happened over at PPBB. I posted, the page reloaded, then later the post was gone. Maybe there was a hiccup right at that moment. I had another post deleted a while back when I referenced a group buy over here at RennTech. The answer I was told was that it needs to be moved to the classifieds. My reply was that I was not trying to sell anything or trying to organize a group buy since there was already one organized by someone else (not me) over here at RennTech. I thought that was a little too much for me considering how much NBC there is over at PPBB. Just trying to share info located on other boards I visit. Not trying to vent or take cheap shots, but PPBB is sometimes really frustrating.

Have a great weekend, too, and thanks for entertaining my questions/comments!

looking in the driver's side vent, the snork is VERY clearly the wider 987 style shown in lorens' diagram a couple of posts down in this thread

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2280

and NOT the narrow one from the 986 shown in the same post

notice that the 986 one has the "cup" at the end while the 987 doesn't

it's already hot at 10 AM here, and i have to detail my G35 Coupe, so i'd rather not open the engine on my 550 SE right now, maybe early tomorrow morning i'll take a look

i'm gonna check out kevin the slow's pictures and compare

aloha

steve

ps- i just looked at the diagram above again, and it looks like the 987 part is exactly as i remember from when i opened it up before

Aloha, Steve,

I would be interested in anything that would help me figure out what could be retrofitted to earlier 986s. On the 987, there is a large plastic shield outside of the snorkle. On the 986, the snorkle is directly behind the vents, but the airbox snakes around. It looks like the MAF, tubing, and even rear intake manifold crossover tube is different on the 987. If the 550 SE is the same as 987, then more parts are required than I'd hoped for, but nonetheless, I'm sure this would pass smog. The price may run me more than an EVO, though.