Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

wheel expert needed

I have a 2000 boxster with 17" wheels,

I just bought an after market turbo look wheels with the following specs:

front:

size 18x8

offset 45

rear:

size 18x10

offset 50

as I'm new to this could someone please tell me if it will fit my boxster, if not then what i have to do inorder to get it fit!

do i need to use spacers? what size?

if i need to use spacer then shall i use it to both the front and rear wheels?

please note that I'm very new to this so please answer me in a very easy way ;)

post-5412-1127841585.jpg

• Moderators

Probably. Based on my experience with my - and other - cars, yes. However, each car is a little different and we are talking millimeters. Even if you have to use a small 2-3mm spacer, these will work fine with the stock wheel bolts.

I am currently running 275/40-17's Toyo Proxes T1-S and have run Kumho Victoracer V700's of the same size on 17x10 wheels with a 50mm offset. I get very, very minor rubbing unless I use a 2mm spacer.

Good Luck,

Graeme

DSC_0189.jpg

Your fronts will be out far enough. You can run 285s on the rear with those 10", but I would be prepared for possible rear spacers on the order of 2 to 3mm. As Graeme noted, you're basically down to manufacturing tolerances of the car, wheels, tires, etc. My 18X10 ET48 with 285s (on the wide side) have about 1mm clearance to the strut and rub the parking brake cable. My tires also vary left-to-right about 2 to 3mm. It's going to be close.

• Moderators

MAYBE. The fronts will fit fine. The rears may or may not. YOU WILL NOT KNOW FOR SURE UNTIL YOU TRY IT. The clearances we are talking about are so small, manufacturing tolerances on the car and the wheels introduce some uncertanty. Sorry we can't be more definitive, but hey, that's the way it goes.

You will not need longer bolts if you use 3mm spacers, the stock bolts will work perfectly well.

Graeme

Graeme, do you have a source for those super thin spacers? 5mm spacers was overkill for me (net ET 43mm), and the tires stuck out too much. I'd like a source for super-thin spacers, like 1 to 3mm. Next time around, I'd like to fit 295s that are on the narrower side, and actual vs spec'ed section widths (correcting for rim width) can vary considerably, especially new.

BTW, the 275/40R17 is a smart setup since that's a popular size and cheaper rubber. Almost went that route...

I emailed www.Wheel Enhancement.com asking them if my wheels will fit and this was their answer:

"the 8x18" wheel with a 45mm offset will fit the front of your Boxster without spacers. The 10x18" wheel with a 50mm offset will need to use a 10mm spacer. Unfortunately, we do not carry a 10mm spacer and do not know of anyone who does. Please e-mail us if you have any additional questions.

Thank you, Dave - Wheel Enhancement"

so guyz what do u think? as i was just about to buy 3mm spacers!

and where can i buy a 10mm spacers?

shall i take Wheel Enhancement advice for granted!

• Moderators

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

Did I say wrong? This is not the first time I have heard Wheel Enhancement give out incorrect info.

I am personally running a 10" rear wheel with a 50mm offset and a 2mm spacer on a 2001 Boxster S. Without my 2mm spacer, the tire has a very slight rub on the parking brake cable.

If anything, a 10mm spacer will introduce fitment issues with the outside of the tire rubbing on the fender.

Graeme

These wheels will work. Since you have the wheels the thing to do is to mount tires and try it. If you use 265s the worse case scenario is that you will need 5-7mm spacers for the rear. For that large of a spacer you will need new wheel bolts.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a 10mm spacer for a Porsche. Due to the hub-centric nature of the design you have to skip from about 7mm all the way up to 14mm. (The problems are the flanges that the wheel mates to on the hub.)

The "ideal" offset for a 10" wheel is about 40 i.e. such that the wheel/tire is flush with the outer edge of the wheel well. Attached is a pic of an 18x10 et40 wheel with a 265 tire.

Up to 285s can fit but you may have to play with different sized spacers. (I have had 285s on my 18x10 et40 wheels ) Also the sides of the car are not necessarily exactly the same. What works on one side may not work on the other. Up to 275 is usually not as critical. 265s are easiest and there is more tire choice.

You can usually find 3,4 and 6 mm spacers on ebay. Do a search for "porsche wheel spacer". 5mm and bolts you can get from the dealer. 7mm and bolts can be had from H&R and others.

post-676-1127935875_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, ar38070, you seem to have some sticky tires there :)

265s with ET40 will have no brake cable rubbing issues. You do not need ET40 to fit 285s, though. ET40 with 285s starts getting close to the fender (again depending on various manuf tolerances and if your car is lowered). I also disagree with Wheel Enhancement after studying this for years.

Why don't you try mounting them with whatever tires you'll be using and see how much clearance there is? Nobody can tell you for sure what spacers you need, if any, since we don't know what tires you're running and even if we did, we don't know the various manufacturing tolerances.

If you still don't want to try that, then get 265s and 5mm spacers/bolts in the rear. That will fit just about any conceivable set of manufacturing tolerances assuming that your car is reasonably stock.

Offset works the opposite of what you would think. A larger number moves a wheel in. A smaller number pushes it out. Technically it the the distance from the wheel pad (the surface of the wheel that contacts the hub) to the centerline of the wheel.

What looks good is in the eye of the beholder.

• Moderators
ONE LAST QUESTION.

WILL MY NEW REAR WHEELS LOOK GOOD ON MY BOXSTER? WOULDNT IT BE STUCKING OUT EVEN WITHOUT THE USE OF A SPACER!

rear:

size 18x10

offset 50

HAS ANYONE GOT A PICTURE OF A BOXSTER WITH THE SAME WHEEL SETUP?

I guess I have not made myself very clear.

I am running 17x10's offset 50 with a 3 mm spacer.

It will look just like in the pictures below (only with lower profile tires since you are planning on 18's!

As an aside, anyone recognise the lady in the middle in the first picture?

If you don't know, click this link:

http://gwl.rmsolo.org/ASP-05/pages/P6260147.html

P6260148.jpg

P6260162.jpg

P6260177.jpg

P6260184.jpg

P6260183.jpg

P6260192.jpg

P6260194.jpg

100% agree it is in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of folks running 10" rears on Boxsters. The range of offsets you will see are 40mm to 50mm. Not to confuse you further, but I also think the front and rear should be matched to look nice as well. The offsets you have are perfect from a looks point-of-view. You basically want the minimum sized spacer that will allow them to fit since the back of the Boxster is so tight. I personally like the Turblo Look II wheels and was tempted to get them at one point. My advice: stop worrying, get them, and see if they fit. If they don't fit in the rear, get a small spacer. With 265s, I don't think you'll need spacers. With 285s, you probably will.

Graeme,

What spring / shock combo are you using? Is that the ROW M030 ride height? Car looks nice.

Others,

Good thread, another "fit" question - Does a 265/30-18 rear fit a 10" rear well or is it "stretched" too far & leave the lip of the rim protruding (vulnerable to curb scrapes)?

Does a 235/40-18 work in the front or will the extra diameter rub the spring perch? Can anyone confirm 245/35-18 fits (& clears at full lock) on 18*8et50 fronts?

Thanks-

My fronts 235s on both 17" and 18" rub the plastic wheel liner at full lock. "Normal" on the GT3s.

I've never seen a 265/30, and the diameter would be too small. 265/35, however, is a very common fitment and standard on late 90s 911 10" wheels. Rim protection bars and actual wheel section widths vary from manuf to manuf.

sorry - meant 265/35-18.

What aspect ratio 235 fronts? 40 or 45? I remember seeing 3.6 turbos w/ the speedline 3pc wheels - invariably the rim was always exposed. That may have been before rim strips were common though.

My fronts 235s on both 17" and 18" rub the plastic wheel liner at full lock.  "Normal" on the GT3s. 

I've never seen a 265/30, and the diameter would be too small.  265/35, however, is a very common fitment and standard on late 90s 911 10" wheels.  Rim protection bars and actual wheel section widths vary from manuf to manuf.

235/45R17 and 235/40R18. Those are actually approx 25.3" diameter which is a better match for the 265/35R18 and 265/40R17s that I ran. The standard 225/40R18 are closer to 25.0" as is the 285/30R18. I wouldn't sweat the 0.3" diameter difference. I personally like the 235s since they have a higher load rating.

Rim scraping depends a lot on the tires (and your driving obviously). My original PZero Asimms had no rim protection bars. My RE750s had gigantic, mother-in-law proof rim protection bars. If you head to your local dealship and browse the lot, you can usually see a wide variety of tires of various sizes on various wheel widths.

• Moderators
Graeme,

What spring / shock combo are you using? Is that the ROW M030 ride height? Car looks nice.

I have stock US M030 struts with the EVO (manufactured by Neuspeed) springs. EVO states approximately a 40mm (1.5") drop. I measured 1.25" (~35mm) drop all around.

Even lowered "only" 35mm, I have to be extremely careful with speed bumps and other dips/rises anywhere I drive.

EVO Suspension Components

Graeme