Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

First of all, this sport chrono extra (unlike the x51 option) does not boost the hp of the car. It just make the throttle response a bit more sensitive (and the suspension a bit tighter), right? so without it, the car should still runs the same way (except one may have to push the gas padel further down and change the PASM mode to sport)? Do you agree?

I have to agree fully. Mine will not have it. The M3 I sold two years ago had something similar ( I think), and It was useless.

If you really want to spice up your feel for the car X51 and -20mm ia the only way to go. If one really has a good budget add a PCCB and you end up with the best and fastest responding P.car ever. Better than any turbo will ever be able to approach. Light and mean and at the same time for everyday. Just what a Porsche was always meant to be.

...I don't know about it being a waste.

Last spring I traded it my 02 M3 for a Carrera S with Sport Chrono and I'm very happy with it.

When I had the M I only drove it in sport, I found the normal throttle path to be way too mushy. While is it true that in my Porsche normal is definitely sufficient, sport adds to the fun, you just feel faster when it's on...

I know it doesn't add horsepower or shave seconds of a 1/4 mile, but I find it adds to the feel of the car. You get it for the same reasons why you would get PSE or a short shift kit... Both don't add power, but once you have them you'll never want to do without.

I have the sport chrono in my 987S ( no PASM- standard suspension.) The sharpened throttle response is addictive esp for getting the revs right on a downshift.

However the real advantage of the sport chrono is the different limits for the PSM and ABS. Our local PCA club has access to a military runway for Auto-X. Very high speed for an Auto-x up to 100 mph then brake hard for a left sweeper. Spins are O.K. because you can't hit anything at all. The PSM in normal setting will kick in and straighten you out anytime you start to slide. In other words it doesn't allow much of a slip angle. With the Sport chrono in "sport" setting it backs off the PSM limits substantially and you can slide the car a bit without the stability system kicking in. As well the ABS behaves differently. The system will allow both front wheels into the ABS range without the PSM defaulting to the "full on" setting.

So for a complete novice like myself I can drive the car (with sport chrono on and PSM completely off) balls to the wall at Auto-X where a spin is just a smoky learning lesson. Then at the track where a loss of control results in serious damage to the car or me or both I can have the PSM on but with more liberal limits. This is why every Porsche I'll ever have will include this option.

Brad