Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

:( For no apparent reason but I need this now its winter and I drive to and from work in the dark. The green auto light works on the mirror but the light sensors don't work, could this be a fuse, has anybody else had this issue or had any suggestions ???? HELP !

Does the drivers side (exterior) anti-dazzle mirror sensor work?

They both trigger off the same sensor in the interior mirror.

Nope Loren on both mirrors (rear and driver) anti dazzle is out; but I have power to the rear view mirror (auto light goes on and off) and my rain sensor and reverse gear mirror function both work. I have a GT3 seat installed but was very careful to reinstall all the necessary connections to the control box. I went through all the fuses in the box they are fine and have no warning lights

• Admin

Well there is definitely wiring for the mirrors under the drivers seat. Did this happen just after installing the seat?

Here is the proper way to test the sensor:

1. Ignition on.

2. Cover photocell on the glass side of the interior mirror; the mirror surface must darken after about 4 seconds. Uncover the photocell. The mirror should brighten within approx. 6 seconds.

3. Repeat, except that before uncovering the photocell, ensure the mirror goes from a dimmed to an undimmed state when reverse gear is selected.

Well there is definitely wiring for the mirrors under the drivers seat. Did this happen just after installing the seat?

Here is the proper way to test the sensor:

1. Ignition on.

2. Cover photocell on the glass side of the interior mirror; the mirror surface must darken after about 4 seconds. Uncover the photocell. The mirror should brighten within approx. 6 seconds.

3. Repeat, except that before uncovering the photocell, ensure the mirror goes from a dimmed to an undimmed state when reverse gear is selected.

Loren; I have no exact idea of when it happened except I know it doesn't work now and I did switch the drivers GT3 seat in June, only when the seasons change is it obvious as I go to work at 06.30 and returm from 18.30 and otherwise don't drive in the evening. I have tried covering the photocell on the glass side and there is no difference whether the rear view mirror is auto on or off, covered or not but I guess the passenger mirror wouldn't swivel in reverse had I not reinstalled something correctly in the control box under the seat ( which it currently does). I really appreciate your help here by the way....

The sensor is on the yellow (+) and green (-) wires so you could try it out of the circuit and see if the resistance changes.

This could also likely be tested with a PST2 but I don't have a car with anti-dazzle handy.

Loren strangely I've discovered both anti-dazzle units WORK with either the passenger door open or the interior light on, what does this mean ?

One obvious solution would be to leave the drivers side interior light on and take the bulb out, I've tried that but it obviously needs the bulb to work

Edited by richardch

Hmm... either shorted or miswired?

Were the anti-dazzle mirrors installed at the factory or after?

Loren Its OEM factory install, never had a problem, seems to be an earth problem ? all the interior lights work; could I just "inactivate" one put leave it plugged in and yet permanently switched on to get the anti dazzle units working

• 2 weeks later...

Loren I'm back on this issue, its been such nice weather in Europe I've been driving the Ferrari most of the time.

I can't find any loose wires and so am thinking of taking the bulb out of the drivers side interior light ( not the main central interior light ) and shorting the connection, as this seems to work perfectly with the bulb in ( but the light on ). Any advice on what grade wire or tin foil etc that I can short the bulb socket connection with ??

Loren, with whatever guage wire I use it blows fuse C3

This is very frustarating as I know the dimming mirror works perfectly when the interior light is on, I have

1) Taken out and inspected the interior light unit, which is mostly hard circuit wired anyway and see no problems.

2) Re inspected the control box beneath my now GT3 seat and everything is fine there too.

Its almost as if its just missing a positive feed ( hence one of the interior lights needing to be on to make the mirror dim )

Any other thoughts from your end Sir ?

• 1 month later...

When reading this post I am wondering why my auto-dimming mirrors have also decided not to work.

I had the mirrors installed by the dealer as an option (not from the factory) and I do remember they had a heck of a time getting them to work right. If I recall they had to get in a "special wiring harness" and even then it seems like it was a royal pain in the a** to get them to work properly.

Since then I have installed GT3 seats and I am wondering if in so doing have made the auto-dimming mirrors non-functional. As those who have swapped their seats out know, underneath the drivers seat there are 2 "black boxes"...one attached to the floor and on attached to the seat. After a seat swap the one on the floor obviously stays but the one on the seat goes.

My questions are therefore:

Is the little black box attached to the drivers seat needed for the dealer-installed auto-dimming mirrors?

If so is there a way to bypass it?

Am I out to lunch and there may be another reason why the mirrors have mysteriously stopped working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by NeverFastEnough

When reading this post I am wondering why my auto-dimming mirrors have also decided not to work.

I had the mirrors installed by the dealer as an option (not from the factory) and I do remember they had a heck of a time getting them to work right. If I recall they had to get in a "special wiring harness" and even then it seems like it was a royal pain in the a** to get them to work properly.

Since then I have installed GT3 seats and I am wondering if in so doing have made the auto-dimming mirrors non-functional. As those who have swapped their seats out know, underneath the drivers seat there are 2 "black boxes"...one attached to the floor and on attached to the seat. After a seat swap the one on the floor obviously stays but the one on the seat goes.

My questions are therefore:

Is the little black box attached to the drivers seat needed for the dealer-installed auto-dimming mirrors?

If so is there a way to bypass it?

Am I out to lunch and there may be another reason why the mirrors have mysteriously stopped working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to retain the black box under the seat for the dimming mirrors and certainly the dipping passenger door mirror in reverse, I did