Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Porsche short shifter in a 2001 Boxster?

From reading several posts here and on other boards about the new style Porsche short shifter (p/n 997-424-983-00), it sounds like it does not have the "notchiness" of the B&M shifter, and also it doesn't shorten the throws as much (20% vs. 30% for the B&M). Will this new style shifter (preinstalled in the shifter housing) fit into a 2001 Boxster? Also, does it come with any tool for calibrating the cable length? Has anyone tried this yet? Brandywine says it fits, is smoother and less notchy, but I wanted to confirm before ordering.

• Moderators

The new style Porsche short shifter (p/n 997-424-983-00) is exactly the same shift lever as the B&M shifter, except is is black and includes the shift mount. The reason that the shifter feels different in the 997 and has a shorter throw is because the shift cables and the transmission on the 997 are different. The transmission is a japanese Aisian 6sp in the 997 vs. a Gertag G50 in the 996. The shift cables on the 997 connect on the left side, and the are part of the shorter throw experienced in the 997.

While putting this part in a 986 will work just fine, you won't get the feel of the 997 out of it.

Supposedly for 2005, the Porsche OEM sport shift is different from the B&M, which is why I asked the question. See Rennlist discussion with pictures for a side-by-side comparison. Other posts in the same topic led me to believe the 997 OEM short shifter wasn't as short as the B&M. The pictures of the 997 shifter look like it's blue plastic, and not the black metal clone by B&M.

Has anyone actually seen and/or installed one of these new ones to confirm the differences? Brandywine is telling me the new Porsche short shifter is a lot smoother and easy to shift than the B&M everyone is using

• Moderators

I think Orient is confusing 996/986 with 997/987.

The short shift Porsche came out for the 996/986 is black metal and a clone of the blue metal B&M unit.

The short shift Porsche came out with for the 997 is different. From the pictures it is blue plastic, part number 997 424 983 00, and is the same shifter used on the 987. It is in the first pic, and let's call it the new style Porsche short shift.

I too have wondered if the new style would work on a 996/986. I have seen the standard 987 shift tower and it sure looks to be the same dimensions and mounting position as used in a 996/986. The second pic is the 987 standard shift and you can tell because it is black plastic. Other than the shift lever itself the 987 unit looks just like what is used on a 996/986. Same black and blue cable connectors. Same type of mount on the rear of the tower for the cables. Same 4 nuts to hold it down.

But I have never seen them side-by-side to be a 100% sure the new style Porsche short shift will work with a 996/986. I guess you will just have to trust Brandywine.

The third pic someone took of the tool to adjust the cables. I think it comes with the shifter, but Brandywine should be able to look in a box to be sure.

post-4-1129156161_thumb.jpg

post-4-1129157148_thumb.jpg

post-4-1129157388_thumb.jpg

Tool Pants, are you saying the shifter that is stock in the 987S is as short as it gets, or that the short shifter from Porsche is shorter still? I got lost somewhere in there. This is particularly relevant since I have a "short shifter" on the way from Sunset Imports.

tmc

...  Brandywine says it fits, is smoother and less notchy, but I wanted to confirm before ordering.

Just a comment on 'notchiness'. :soapbox:

The shifter is basically a bar, a cradle and attachment for a pair of cables to the transmission. Dragging the bar around causes levers on the outside of the transmission to click to a new position.

To me - notchiness would be how much you feel the shift lever 'click into place'. The solidity of the 'click' will be primarily a function of slack in the fittings at each end of the cable, rigidity of the cable within it's sleeve, firmness of the bushings between the cable and the transmission, and lastly length and friction of the shifter.

All shifters are aiming for low friction so the main effect of a shifter is it's effective length. As the length of the throw gets shorter, effort becomes higher and the perception of clicking into place may appear greater, but IMHO it isn't much.

Notchiness could also be 'unexpectedly' reaching the end of the shift travel. Once you become acustomed to the new shift travel, this form of 'notchiness' should go away.

The length of the shift throw is a compromise between effort and time to move the distance vs the precision required to select the correct gear. This is essentially the same tradeoff between a moving van steering wheel with multiple turns lock-to-lock and a MOMO racing wheel turning fat tires. The small one is twitchy, notchy, and demands precise movements. The big one requires more elbow movement but the larger range of motion allows one more increments between partway there and fully there.

:drive:

My arm is comfortable reaching the full distance of the 'standard' porsche solution, so that I prefer to 'feel' my way into a balky gear change. Others who always match revs perfectly (or who imagine they do) may prefer to 'click' into gear changes with a shorter throw.

- - - - - - -

Bottom line - I don't think any modern Porsche shifter is especially notchy due the the bushings and cables involved. The difference in shifter feel is basically the length of the throw, which is a personal preference based mostly on your inner speed racer. :D