Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help - Cabriolet replacement - 99 911 Cab

Loren,

Wondering if you have any information or can help me out on this. I have a 99 Cab and was rear ended about three weeks ago. Crushed the back and front bumpers and the roll bars deployed. The roll bars ended up warping the back plastic window and they agreed to replace the top (outmost layer of fabric and window). However, when they tried to order the part, they were told that the replacement no longer comes with a plastic window already installed (it used to be burnt in at the factory). Now, the fabric part is separate and the plastic window needs to be installed. The body work was excellent, but the window install is unsatisfactory. Aside from a visible stitch on the outside of the window, the install was poorly done. I'm just wondering if you know whether they are giving me accurate information. Is it true that Porsche no longer makes the top with the plastic window already installed (burned in w/o the stich)?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Chad in Los Angeles

• Admin

From what I know and heard from others that is true. All the plastic windows are installed at the dealership as they are fitted -- mainly due to stretching of the tops. It usually takes a couple of days as they put the top on first and let it stretch then the dealer uses a special heating tool that forms the seal around the top. Jeff (aka ToolPants) has actually seen them do this.

I would say that if you do not have a clean, fault free seal on your new window they should replace the top and window until they get it right. If that dealer can not do it right they should offer to fix the car at a dealership that can. (IMHO of course) :rolleyes:

Loren,

It's confirmed. I called another body shop and the window is not supposed to be stitched in. I was a little bit upset in that they say they fix these cars all the time. They obviously haven't done that many. Anyway, I will not be accepting the car back until the issue is resolved. I even found them the guy that does the install correctly. Thank you for all the help. I wish I had asked the question before they began the work. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Chad (99 Cab)

• Moderators

I took some pictures of a 996 top and the plastic window being replaced at my local dealer. And I have a picture of the window which is a separate part. But my picture hosting site is not working at the monent.

Only a Boxster plastic window is stitched in.

The plastic window on a 996 is held in place with a zipper. There are 2 wires that sitck out which are attached to an electrical thing which heats some kind of sealant around the edge of the window. I have been told this electrical thing is very expensive. I bet the body shop does not have it. Jeff