Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alarm/doorlocks inop

Went to open my 98 Boxster today and...I turned the key and noticed that the drivers door opened and that the usual noises ..Alarm beep, passenger door unlocking...were absent. Fuse right? nope, checked the fuses twice and they're fine! Problem is, I can't even open the passengers door from the inside. One very strange thing is that when I start the car, and it starts just fine, I see the door-lock switch stays lit and I can't turn it off. I can open the drivers door with key and from inside. Radio works also. Anybody knows what's up with this? Maybe a relay? loose wire? Asian flu?

I tried that. Something strange. I see that the headlights work, but with the engine off they are very, very dim. Also see that my windows don't work either, even with the engine on. Like I said, the car starts without problems. Could this car have a system, that shuts down everything when the battery is low and keeps enough juice to start?

Try locking the car with the door key lock. Then unlocking the same way.

Edited by bigdog

... I see that the headlights work, but with the engine off they are very, very dim.

This is Normal - low wattage(7W?) bulbs stay on but the high wattage bulbs shut off with a relay when the engine is off

My windows do not work with the key in the off position - but you are right, they should work with the engine on.

MY 02S

Thanks, I've pretty much ruled out the battery. But it's good info anyway. I thought someone would be able to give me a hand on this, but I've got the message in three different forums and zip. Anyway, a few days ago, before this happened, I found some cd's under the passengers seat and pulled them out. The car sat for a about 4-5 days and when I went to start it, I noticed the problem. Firs idea was the battery. Then I started to think about the mass of cables under the seat. I checked today to see if maybe I pulled loose a cable, but everything looks cool. Wish I could get some help on this.

... I see that the headlights work, but with the engine off they are very, very dim.

This is Normal - low wattage(7W?) bulbs stay on but the high wattage bulbs shut off with a relay when the engine is off

My windows do not work with the key in the off position - but you are right, they should work with the engine on.

MY 02S

'98 Boxster = Have you ever replaced the ignition switch?

It sounds like some accesories don't work while other do. If the radio did not work, I would be more confident you had a bad ignition switch. To be fair i don't understand the Boxster electronics/electricals.

Seems you have 2 major choices - shotgun replace some commonly failing, relatively inexpensive parts - or pay someone to track this down as an electrical problem.

I would be tempted to replace the lower (non-key) half of the ignition switch - just in case. I think this part is about $20. I would also search the forum to see if there is another common failing component that MIGHT be a match. To my recollection the other common electrical failures are mostly micro-switches for the top/handbrake and foot brake pedal.

Good luck.

'98 Boxster = Have you ever replaced the ignition switch?

It sounds like some accesories don't work while other do. If the radio did not work, I would be more confident you had a bad ignition switch. To be fair i don't understand the Boxster electronics/electricals.

Seems you have 2 major choices - shotgun replace some commonly failing, relatively inexpensive parts - or pay someone to track this down as an electrical problem.

I would be tempted to replace the lower (non-key) half of the ignition switch - just in case. I think this part is about $20. I would also search the forum to see if there is another common failing component that MIGHT be a match. To my recollection the other common electrical failures are mostly micro-switches for the top/handbrake and foot brake pedal. 

Good luck.

Thanks Adsach, right now it's in the shop. I think it's something minor :unsure: I was researching the diaghams and everyting that's srewed up is on the alarm circuit. It's been in the shop two days and they haven't called...bad sign. Maybe it means a trip to the dealer :(

Went to open my 98 Boxster today and...I turned the key and noticed that the drivers door opened and that the usual noises ..Alarm beep, passenger door unlocking...were absent. Fuse right? nope, checked the fuses twice and they're fine! Problem is, I can't even open the passengers door from the inside. One very strange thing is that when I start the car, and it starts just fine, I see the door-lock switch stays lit and I can't turn it off. I can open the drivers door with key and from inside. Radio works also. Anybody knows what's up with this? Maybe a relay? loose wire? Asian flu?

*********I'm good now. The alarm itself has a fuse inside. Everything cool.*****

• 4 months later...

I have a 98 Boxster I bought in December 05, manual trans, US.

A few weeks ago on SuperBowl Sunday it was a relatively warm day and I decided to give the new (old) car a good wash. I scrubbed and scrubbed and washed and rinsed. It looked incredible when I finished late in the afternoon. Just before the game started, I made a dash to the grocery store for the usual assortment of game food. I noticed the lock light for the doors was on and wouldn't go off. At the store, the alarm wouldn't engage. I didn't worry about it too much and was just going to run in the store for a couple of minutes. When I came out and jumped in the car to get back to the game, I turned the switch and nothing happened. Dead, nadda, zilch. I checked the usual, clutch completely depressed, reinserted key, etc. still nothing. After about 10 minutes of trying still no go, car did even attempt to turnover. Finally tried to jump start from rolling start. Still nothing. Finally walked 3 miles home. Missed first half of game.

After the game I asked my 19 year old son to stop by and see if it would start on his way home. A few minutes later, he was back in the driveway with the Boxster and a smile on his face. I asked him what he had done to start it and he said he just turned the key and it started. Remember my problem was BEFORE the game so alcohol was not a factor.

My son parked the car behind someone else in my driveway and when they were ready to leave later, I got in to move the Porsche and again it wouldn't start, no electrical response at all (by then my son had left so I couldn't get him to help). I coasted the car out of the drive and left it on the street overnight. Next morning it started fine, just like normal.

This pattern remained for the next couple of weeks, it would start fine after it sat for awhile but when it reached its destination and was turned off, it would not start again, it would be completely dead - no electrical response at all. I was noticing other various strange things electrically, one time the windows wouldn't work, the next time they would, sometimes the door lock light and switch worked sometimes not, usually the alarm wouldn't work. Finally gave and took the car to my local shop.

They have had the car a couple of weeks now. So far they have replaced both parts of the switch and a fuse. That fixed the radio, and made a couple of the weird electrical problems go away, however the starting problem remained. They thought at first it was a bad sensor on the crankcase but determined the sensor is fine. They did notice the floorboard of the driver side was very wet so they took out the seat and let the car air dry for several days. Still had problems and thought it might be that the computer needed to have codes reprogrammed so they took it to the dealer for the codes. That's not the problem either. They now suspect that the drivers side has gotten wet repeatedly over the years, probably because one of the drain holes behind the seats might be partially clogged allowing water to back up into the car. They said Porsche does not consider this to be a problem.

The latest thinking is that the computer and seat belt receptacles might need replacing. They are concerned that the moisture under the drivers seat and humidity inside the car has corroded the components inside the computer and the electronics in the seatbelts. They are considering taking apart the computer to see if they can clean it because it is a $1500 part and they aren't recommending buying a used one. Apparently I will need to buy new keys if I replace it at $250 a pop as well. I don't have the car back yet but wanted to warn others of my experience as the weather starts to improve.

Before you wash your car, check those drain plugs first and be careful not to get water in the driver side floor because the computer sits under the seat just above the carpet.

Any thoughts from some of the gurus would be appreciated or leads on where to get used electronics that are reliable.

Thanks

Greg

• 5 years later...

'99 US Boxster 2.5

I started having some unusual electrical problems a few weeks ago... the passenger window was not dropping, manual lock light going on, etc. As I had done a number of years ago, I replaced the plastic part of the ignition switch under the dash. Last time that solved my issues, this time with no luck. With Maurice's help I diagnosed and replaced a bad passenger side locking mechanism. The window drop when activating both the inner and out handles is perfect now, thanks Maurice. At first, the intermittent lock light on the dash mounted rocker switch stayed off. Great, two birds with one stone. But today the lock light is back on... In the 10 years I've had this car I probably have used this manual lock switch less than a dozen times.

Here are the symptoms;

My key fob button went out years ago, I've been opening the car manually for years with no problem.

When the car first starts, the "lock light" may self illuminate, it may not.

After driving a while the light will come on for sure.

While running, touch the unlock side of the switch and the light tuns off briefly, you hear the door locks cycle through twice, the horn beeps twice and the lock light re-illuminates.

When locking with a key (the only way I can) the driver's door locks, but the passenger side doesn't.

The alarm does not arm.

The windows now work perfectly.

The only other repair I did recently was replace the steering wheel air bag frame.... the horn was "going off on its own". This door lock issue started before the horn issue, and has continued after the new frame was installed.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Steve

A bit more info.... I knocked off work early today and hit the road. (What do you expect? San Diego, 75 degrees, gentle breeze, not a cloud in the sky. biggrin.gif). The lock doors light did not come on during the 10 minute trip so I stopped and locked the doors. The alarm armed and the passenger door locked...

Thanks again.