Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

"Creaky" right front strut?

I track the car regularly and have recently noticed a "creaking" sound coming from the right front strut. It is only noticeable when turning the steering wheel. When driving straight ahead over road bumps... no noise. Sit at the stoplight and turn the wheel = noise.

It almost sounds like a creaking door. The three adjustment bolts on the strut are tight and show no signs of movement. The creak seems to come from the top portion of the strut just near the top of the spring. No signs of obvious damage or trauma.

Is this a lubrication issue? The car handles fine. Help with diagnosis is appreciated... thanks! :rolleyes:

Specs: '02 996 C2 Cab, RoW 030

Loren and cmalana... thanks for the replies. Porsche dealer did the install. The RoW 030 parts came from Andial in California.

Loren, the issues you mention sound like they are correctable with the current strut, correct?

I plan to take her to the dealer tomorrow for a full evaluation.

• Moderators

996's have been know to have creak noises coming from the front strut top bearings. The weight of a front corner sits on a "ring" of small ball bearings between the top spring perch which rotates with the steering and the strut top mount which does not rotate. On my '99 C4, I had creak/groans when turning the steering at a stop after having the ROW M030 installed by a dealer. Dealer found some updated strut top parts for the old '99 and installed them on warranty. Fixed the groans.

clord...

That sounds exactly like what's going on with my car. The noise appeared to be coming from the top part of the spring, right where it rotates with the steering input. Hmmm...

On your 99C4, they had to replace the parts? I wonder if that's what I'm in for versus a lube job up in there. We'll see.

Thanks. ;)

On your 99C4, they had to replace the parts?  I wonder if that's what I'm in for versus a lube job up in there.  We'll see. 

Hi,

the bearings can't be re-lubed, they have to be replaced. Known problem even with more recent MYs, usually fixed under warranty. If you have to pay for it yourself: the bearings are quite cheap, but they charge you for a couple of hours of work.

Cheers,

Uwe

Edited by umn

• 6 years later...

I have a creak in the rear driver side, seems to come and go. Sounds like the springs on a bunk bed. Local dealer used a crow bar to jimmy up and down and replicated the noise but said they were unsure what it was and maybe needed lubricating. How many of you can say you're dealer went at your pride and joy with a crow bar. Hilarious!