Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cab Top Latching Issue- Need help

Looking for some help. My 2000 C2 Cab has an issue with the "final" latching of the top when closing. I did some searching here and on Rennlist and found that a few people had also experienced this problem and many rectified it by either replacing or reseating the fuse (B5 location on the 2000 C2 is just for the latching, another fuse handles the rest of the motion). Well, I tired replacing the B5 fuse- though not blown- and everything working fine. A few days later, though, same problem. This time, reseat the fuse and all's well again. It's happened a few more times now and is getting pretty aggravating. I did have the top replaced a few weeks ago and have only noticed this since, although the top was RARELY used before that due to a separated back window and a previous owner that used it enough times to count on one hand (a family member so I know the real history). Any ideas on what to do? I've comtemplated taking apart and reassembling the motor and housing for the latch to see if that helps anything out. The fuse isn't blown, and I doubt that the fuse itself is faulty since I've tried a few of them with the same results. I'm baffled with this one. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Nick

Is the hook cycling and the windows not going up? There is a plactic cover which goes over the latch on 996's as pictured in lorens post above me. Chances are the latching hook cover is cracked and deformed therefor not fully engaging the microswitch. Its a pretty common ocurrance and i have no idea why they engineered the latch differently than the boxster (which doesnt have this cover). Inspect and if its deformed at all, replace it. Its held on with some glue and a knife will take it right off.

Thanks PTEC. I'll check it.

When the problem happens, the roof will go all the way up an the hook will extend, but then it just freezes and the cab light blinks. Turning the car off and then on will occasionally fix it, but more often than not it takes a reseating of the B5 fuse. Then hitting the button will function just like normal and the cycle will complete. That sound like what you are referring to?

• 1 year later...
If you car has the new latch covers and the unmodified hooks then I doubt it will close right. Or you may need the new latch covers...

Here is the mod to the latch - there is more detail in the TSB.

post-2-1130102071.gif

Hi Loren,

The latch cover on my 1999 C4 Cab flew off when I was closing the top. Not sure if the microswitch is loose and repeated movement of the latch broke the cover, or if the cover just broke and now the microswith is not being fully engaged. Rear windows won't go up unless I slide a small piece of plastic to push the microswitch.

Do you have a part number for the latch cover for the Cabriolet top? Does it just snap on?

Any help is really appreciated.

John

996.561.787.00.01C Cover cap

I haven't tried to replace one - perhaps someone else here has and can help.

I'll order the part and see if it's self-explanatory.

Thanks so much. I'm going to go to Pay Pal and set up an account finally, so I can contribute to the site. It's a great resource.

Replacement of the hook cover is really easy. If you look at the picture above of the hook, the two arrows point to where you want to put glue. The area at the top where it shows a 90 degree arc is where you cut the new piece so you can install it on your latch.

I dont know however if this will replace your original problem.

Replacement of the hook cover is really easy. If you look at the picture above of the hook, the two arrows point to where you want to put glue. The area at the top where it shows a 90 degree arc is where you cut the new piece so you can install it on your latch.

I dont know however if this will replace your original problem.

Thanks for the info. What kind of glue would you suggest?

I called Stevens Creek Porsche (San Jose, CA) for the cost of the latch cover..... $28 plus tax. I am going to call Sunset Imports out of Oregon to get a lower price. I have found their prices to be about 33% to 50% lower, and no Ca sales tax. It's not a big amount but I like to give the business to those that are providing the best prices. I've ordered quite a bit from Sunset Imports and they are very professional, and deliver within 2-3 days.

Thanks again.

I also paid ~$28 for mine. Retarded- for a $ .12 piece. There is just nothing special about it, it doesn't even say Porsche ;)

Installation is straight forward. I just used cheap superglue and have not had any problems to date.

Thanks for the information on the ease of installation. I'm happy that it's an easy fix that won't require help from the stealership.

I just ordered the part from Sunset Imports for $12 plus shipping of $3. No CA tax. Also, I asked them to print out the TSB that discusses the fix, and they were very helpful and printed out an additional TSB that was more up to date. Great company to deal with.

Update: I got the part from Sunset Imports for a total of $19 including shipping. I cut the part as shown in the TSB and used adhesive, a more flexible type of glue, as specified in the TSB. The total time to remove the broken part and install the new part was 15 minutes.

Thanks everyone for your help