Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

groaning sound from the steering column

I have a 2000 C4 that I drive year round. Lately there has been a groaning sound coming from my steering column between the steering wheel and instrument cluster. It usually happens when I turn the wheel in the morning. After about 5 minutes it goes away. The same thing happens when I start to drive home from work at the end of the day. It sounds like the steering wheel itself needs to be oiled or greased. It's not the power steering for sure. Can anybody offer up a solution to the problem? Is it something I can do, or, does the dealer have to service it? Thanks.

Pat

• Admin

Are you sure it is in the steering wheel and not the front struts? There is a TSB for steering noises that are caused by a slippage in the front strut mounts. The fix is to replaced the strut mounts with a newer design.

There is a second TSB for clicking noises that requires replacement of the upper strut mount bearing too.

Yeah, I'm sure. The sound is coming from the steering column inside the passenger compartment when you turn the wheel. Road surface and speed have nothing to do with the groan. I'll try to do a video of it if I can. Any thoughts?

I am having exactly the same problem. I have just had major work done on the front end - which turned out to be the track rod ends knocking but they replaced the top mounts, and also the anti roll bar bushes and also the front track control arms. Noise gone - new noise here. I agree it does sound like some oil strategically placed would do the trick.

Grateful for anymore ideas.