Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Differences between normal 996 and GT3?

Is there a document or website that explains exactly what all makes up a GT3

vs. a normal 996? I'm looking for something documenting everything that's

different.

(my interest is in USA models, if that makes a difference)

Thanks,

Bill

Is there a document or website that explains exactly what all makes up a GT3

vs. a normal 996? I'm looking for something documenting everything that's

different.

(my interest is in USA models, if that makes a difference)

Thanks,

Bill

got this from another board,

"2002-2004 Carrera vs. GT3.

Chassis: The GT3 chassis is the Carrera4, Carrera4S, Turbo, GT2 chassis (stiffer). The Carrera chassis is unique to the Carrera (Coupe and Convertible), the front chassis is shared with the Boxster.

Body: Same body panels with the exception of front bumper, rear deck lid (including ugly spoiler on GT3), rocker panels. Most of the Carrera have sunroof, but the delete option was available.

Brakes: The Carrera and Boxster S share the brakes. GT3 uses 6 piston front calipers and 4 piston rear calipers, on bigger rotors. The GT2/GT3 rear brake pads are the Carrera/Boxster S front brake pads. Bigger brake cooling guides on the GT3. Different ABS calibration on the GT3.

Suspension: The front wheel carriers on the GT3/GT2 are shared with the C4, the Carrera uses the Boxster wheel carriers. Adjustable height coilovers on the GT3 vs. Coilover on the Carrera. Spring Rates (F/R): 146#/203# (170#/260# on M030) vs. 228#/543#. Ride height (F/R): 158mm/158mm Carrera vs. 125mm (115mm in RoW)/128mm GT3. GT3 uses front monoball camber plates vs. rubber upper mounts on the Carrera. Rear upper mounts are rubber on both cars, but stiffer on the GT3.

Interior: No Rear seats on the GT3. Sport Seats standard on GT3 and optional on Carrera. No speakers on the doors on GT3, optional door speakers on Carrera. Reduced sound insulation on GT3. Rear carpeting with GT3 logo. Everything else looks the same.

Wheels: 17" standard on Carrera vs. 18" standard on GT3. Carrera 18" wheels 8" x 18" ET50, 10" x 18" ET65 vs GT3 18" wheels 8.5" x 18" ET40, 11" x 18" ET63.

Engine: Modular engine (a.k.a RMS-leaker/Wet sumper) on Carrera 2 with 320Hp (345Hp with X51) vs. GT1 evolved race engine on the GT3 (dry sump, 8200rpm redline, Titanium connecting rods, 380Hp underrated power). I've driven the 996, 996X51, 997S and GT3, the GT3 feels stronger than the suggested 60Hp difference. GT3 uses a third radiator while the Carrera uses 2 (3 on the X51).

Transmission: Boxster S and Carrera have the same transmission, no LSD, no adjustable gear ratios, no rebuildable. GT3 uses the GT3Cup transmission with a different R&P (3.44:1), LSD, 3rd-6th gear can be changed, 1st and 2nd gear changes require a new shaft. The transmission can be rebuilt entirely (gears, syncros, seals, shaft, r&p, etc.)

Electronics: no PSM available on the GT3, while optional on the Carrera.

There are more differences, although minor, such as rpm gauge with GT3 script, stereo, model designation, spare tire vs. no spare tire, rear windshield wiper, etc. However, a lowered, Aerokit II Carrera with GT3 wheels looks exactly the same as a GT3."

.... Engine: Modular engine (a.k.a RMS-leaker/Wet sumper) on Carrera 2 with 320Hp (345Hp with X51) vs. GT1 evolved race engine on the GT3 (dry sump, 8200rpm redline, Titanium connecting rods, 380Hp underrated power). I've driven the 996, 996X51, 997S and GT3, the GT3 feels stronger than the suggested 60Hp difference. GT3 uses a third radiator while the Carrera uses 2 (3 on the X51).

Transmission: Boxster S and Carrera have the same transmission, no LSD, no adjustable gear ratios, no rebuildable. GT3 uses the GT3Cup transmission with a different R&P (3.44:1), LSD, 3rd-6th gear can be changed, 1st and 2nd gear changes require a new shaft. The transmission can be rebuilt entirely (gears, syncros, seals, shaft, r&p, etc.)....

That's what I want .... now I just need to find a donor ...

B)

Chassis: The GT3 chassis is the Carrera4, Carrera4S, Turbo, GT2 chassis (stiffer).

The Carrera chassis is unique to the Carrera (Coupe and Convertible), the

front chassis is shared with the Boxster.

Engine: Modular engine (a.k.a RMS-leaker/Wet sumper) on Carrera ...

What is different that makes the chassis stiffer?

Differently shaped, or additional pieces? Thicker sheet metal? Full seam welding?

I read someplace the MY02 and up Carrera had a stiffer chassis than the older cars.

Anybody know how that was accomplished?

Why is the engine refered to as Modular?

Bill

IIRC, the gt3 chassis starts off as a carrera4 chassis. it was chosen for it's added stiffness due to the c4 front differential bulkhead. it is then seam welded.

not sure about your other questions.

Chassis: The GT3 chassis is the Carrera4, Carrera4S, Turbo, GT2 chassis (stiffer).

The Carrera chassis is unique to the Carrera (Coupe and Convertible), the

front chassis is shared with the Boxster.

Engine: Modular engine (a.k.a RMS-leaker/Wet sumper) on Carrera ...

What is different that makes the chassis stiffer?

Differently shaped, or additional pieces? Thicker sheet metal? Full seam welding?

I read someplace the MY02 and up Carrera had a stiffer chassis than the older cars.

Anybody know how that was accomplished?

Why is the engine refered to as Modular?

Bill