Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Choosing upgraded sway bars

What is the conventional wisdom for setting a 'starting point' for heavier sway bars? I'm considering taking small steps while improving handling on an '03 S for an AX only application. This 'may' be in connection with converting to PSS9s - but, I'd kind of like to see the impact of one change at a time. It has been said (Puhn's book) that the best bang for the buck is to go to a heavier set of sway bars.

I'm only considering adjustable bars, but where should I shoot for in terms of heft? I don't remember what the S bars are (I'll put the gauge on them soon), but is the idea to keep them proportional to the original set up? i.e. if originals are 19mm/22mm, should I select in the range of 22mm/25mm and therefore stay in a similar relationship with what the engineers intended? Would this in essence give me the necessary roll resistance and with the adjustable features still allow fine tuning fore & aft?

Also, what brands/types are most favored here? What are your experiences with various types of after market bars?

Thanks,

Ken J

Ken, I think stiffness is a better target than diameter. It gets complicated: Stiffness would be a function of diameter, thickness, and bar length. Some bars are tubular, some solid, and the bar's length is variable when you go with adjustable bars. Also, the front & rear ranges of adjustability will somewhat negate the need to seek proportionate bar diameters. So you can't just compare diameter and arrive at your answer.

The hard part is going to be getting the relative stiffness data on the various bars at their various settings.

I'm in the midst of this on my '01S. Here's what I believe to be the case with some of the possible solutions:

- Front: The GT3 bar is settable to be between 54% and 109% of the stock bar. It has 5 settings and requires adjustable drop links. I got my bar and links from Tarett Engineering.

- Rear: The only adjustables I'm aware of are H&R and TRG. Tarett has one in the works. Their ranges of adjustability is less because of geometry. I'm still running stock in rear, awaiting Tarett's.

I have the front bar set full soft. Autocrossing with the GT3 bar compared to stock, I find it to cause increased understeer in slower tighter turns, but to dramatically improve high speed control. Overall a major plus IMHO.

Good luck.