Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

News on Porsche deploying PDK/DSG

Anyone has any input on this front?

I didn't wait at all and ordered my 987s tiptronic and now most of the news is out on the 997TT except the deployment of PDK/DSG. P is really keeping that under the lid and seal so no news at all.

I know all 987, 997 2006 MY will get tiptronic S only and no PDK at all.

However, it will definitely be a bummer to find that I just ordered the 987s in tiptronic to be the last production year of a new model with tiptronic S cos it is highly likely that all MY 2007 cars will start to get PDK.

Does anyone know any news on the PDK deployment if at all?

The only rumour I've heard so far is that the 997 Turbo is the first porsche that will come with the PDK/DSG box...... that doesn't automatically mean that the 997 Turbo won't first come out with the tiptronic while they finish off the PDK however I would expect Porsche want to introduce some new technology at the launch of the 997 T so PDK is likely to feature from day one.

When do you get your 987?

I didn't wait at all and ordered my 987s tiptronic and now most of the news is out on the 997TT except the deployment of PDK/DSG. P is really keeping that under the lid and seal so no news at all.

However, it will definitely be a bummer to find that I just ordered the 987s in tiptronic to be the last production year of a new model with tiptronic S cos it is highly likely that all MY 2007 cars will start to get PDK.

IMHO - I think you have a few more model years before you need worry

As the Boxster is the lowest cost Porsche sold, it is also at the bottom of the list for features. Certain features are held back just to preserve a gap between the Boxster and Carrera/911. A simple example would be no glove box in the Boster until 2004, even though the same dash in the 996 had a glove box.

I suggest it is likely to be several years before the new high tech transmission technology "trickles down" to the Boxster. In a likely scenario - First the transmission goes into the TT/GT3/GT2 cars, then into the Carrera, then into the Cayenne, Cayman and the (as yet to be named) 4 door Porsche Sedan, then the second generation of dual clutch transmission hits TT/GT3/GT2, THEN we see the first generation new transmission in the Boxster .

I may be pessimistic here, as Ceramic brakes moved down the food chain very quickly. This is almost certainly due to the fact that Ceramic Brakes are a seperately billed high cost item. If the paddle shifted transmission is marketed like ceramic brakes , you may see it travel down the food chain to the Boxster in 2-4 years.

IMHO - I think you have a few more model years before you need worry

As the Boxster is the lowest cost Porsche sold, it is also at the bottom of the list for features. Certain features are held back just to preserve a gap between the Boxster and Carrera/911. A simple example would be no glove box in the Boster until 2004, even though the same dash in the 996 had a glove box.

I suggest it is likely to be several years before the new high tech transmission technology "trickles down" to the Boxster. In a likely scenario - First the transmission goes into the TT/GT3/GT2 cars, then into the Carrera, then into the Cayenne, Cayman and the (as yet to be named) 4 door Porsche Sedan, then the second generation of dual clutch transmission hits TT/GT3/GT2, THEN we see the first generation new transmission in the Boxster .

I may be pessimistic here, as Ceramic brakes moved down the food chain very quickly. This is almost certainly due to the fact that Ceramic Brakes are a seperately billed high cost item. If the paddle shifted transmission is marketed like ceramic brakes , you may see it travel down the food chain to the Boxster in 2-4 years.

Looks like it and the 987 isn't gonna get it maybe in the next 24 months and I think maybe in 36 months for sure. Most technologies (new ones) go to the high end models first to keep the segmentation clear between entry level models and to protect owners paying premiums. The only concern (it is going to come but when is the question) is that tiptronic S wouldn't be supported anymore.

The real question is whether or not tiptronic S would go in parallel with PDK just like the PCCB. Normal brakes are used but PCCB is a high cost item that you can add on. For e.g., all normal 987 or 997 would have manual as standard and tiptronic S as option but you will have to pay a ton more like the PCCB to get the PDK technology. This makes perfect sense for P to cash in on a new technology like that and very hard to imagine P to completely replace tiptronic with such a newly developed and high cost item. Any normal user wanting an automatic without too much worry on shifting lag times can simply take the good o tiptronic s and those who want something simlar to DSG that shifts faster with less lag time could pay more. This would look most natural as a market segmentation strategy to me.