Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Main Seal Replacement Twice!

I Have got a 2002 (02) Boxster S, it's done 51000 miles and last week it went in for a new Rear Main Seal (RMS)

I has been fine for about a 5 days and 200 miles, but now i have that dreddid patch of oil again on the garage floor,

has anyone had simaler issues with a RMS going again so quickly and what may be causing it,

i have got it booked back in at the garage next week for them to have a look,

Thanks

• Moderators

In many cases, when a 996/986 goes in for a RMS replacement, the tech will also replace the IMS seal. This seal has a little O ring that if improperly installed will leak like a sieve.

Is this work being done by a Porsche dealer? If so make sure that the RMS replacement is the latest one that uses the Cayenne RMS seal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got the car back after a major service and wheel bearing replacment and £800 lighter,

I didnt get the part numbers but the service director said they were using the latest seals, they didnt replace the RMS as this wasnt leaking but the IMS was, He told me they normally always do both, but the IMS wasnt leaking when they did it the first time,

apart from needing new reer tyres hopfully it's all sorted now.... will find out......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have just booked my car back into the garage as it's started leaking oil again,

same patch on the floor so guessing the RMS again,

I have done about 2000 fairly steady miles since the last change,

does anyone have any advice or know what the latest revision of the seal is?

anouther thing is the car is now out of warrenty and this *May* cost me. i am hoping they will do it for free, If i did have to pay for it, is it worth doing it now or leaving it for a while,

thanks

Hi All,

I have just booked my car back into the garage as it's started leaking oil again,

same patch on the floor so guessing the RMS again,

I have done about 2000 fairly steady miles since the last change,

does anyone have any advice or know what the latest revision of the seal is?

anouther thing is the car is now out of warrenty and this *May* cost me. i am hoping they will do it for free, If i did have to pay for it, is it worth doing it now or leaving it for a while,

thanks

The car may be out of warrantee, but the RMS and IMS service they just did for you should be warranted.

I'd say take it back

The car may be out of warrantee, but the RMS and IMS service they just did for you should be warranted.
I don't know about reputable independants, but I was in an almost identical situation with my OPC. They said that they don't warrant warranty work. If I'd paid to have my RMS done, it would have been warranted. However, because Porsche in effect paid for the work, the RMS was not warranted beyond the end of my warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update they are doing the RMS next month under warranty, but then wont warranty this work,

I am thinking of taking the car to Porsche to take out an extended warranty, but i am hoping this may be the last time this needs doing (at least for a while)