Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sway bar upgrade for TT

CO996C4

I was discussing with the head mechanic at my Shop in Denver today and we discussed sway bar upgrades for my 02 TT X50. He was thinking of using Sways for a GT2. Does anyone know if they are larger in diameter than the stock TT? I measured sways currently on car at 24mm in front and 23mm in rear. I am going to be installing the factory X73 kit along with sways, will that make any difference?

Thanks

Jim

Edited by CO996C4

• Admin

The GT2 is 2WD and the TT is 4WD plus the GT2 is lighter -- so the GT2 swaybars are actually smaller. For example the (US) rear swaybars on a TT are 21.70 mm and the rear swaybars on a GT2 are 20.77 mm.

Maybe try the RoW X75 rear swaybars for TT that are 22.50 mm. I am not sure of the RoW X75 swaybar size for the front but I'm pretty sure they are larger than US stock.

Thanks I went out and put calipers on present bars and keep getting 23mm on rear and 24.5 on front (the piece that sticks into the wheel well that you can reach measured on the round part) I wonder since this is an X50 if it does not already have the X75 sways stock? Hope so will save me $$ When I put on the X73 kit

Jim

I went for the RoW rear GT2 sway bar which is 1mm smaller but since its adjustable the 3rd hole (out of 4) dialed out some understeer. Go to carnewal, order it from Gert and You'll be pleased with little money and using OEM stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the OEM X75 sway bars together with PSS9 on the TT?

I just finished installing PSS9 from FVD. After the install the car had considerable body roll. I went ahead and installed H&R bars front and rear. Front is 25mm and rear is 24mm. The big thing I noticed between the stock bars and H&R bars is the weight. The H&R bars are cosiderable heavier. So I think a combination of size and weight makes the bars work differently that stock bars. I am trying different setups on the shocks and bars now. I would recommend if the car is tracked that when one installs coilovers such as PSS9's that one also give seriouos consideration to bars as well.

Has anyone tried the OEM X75 sway bars together with PSS9 on the TT?

I just finished installing PSS9 from FVD. After the install the car had considerable body roll. I went ahead and installed H&R bars front and rear. Front is 25mm and rear is 24mm. The big thing I noticed between the stock bars and H&R bars is the weight. The H&R bars are cosiderable heavier. So I think a combination of size and weight makes the bars work differently that stock bars. I am trying different setups on the shocks and bars now. I would recommend if the car is tracked that when one installs coilovers such as PSS9's that one also give seriouos consideration to bars as well.

Now i have installed the OEM X75 bars front and rear. They are about 1 mm thicker that originals.

Up to now i don't feel any difference from the originals.

I will try the car on the track next week. Then i will have the verdict.

• 2 months later...

I have Bilstein PSS9 on this car. On demanding tracks (Nurburgring) the car had a lot body roll . First i changed to X73 sway bars. My dealer told me that they are installed in 996tt with sport suspension from factory.

Still there was body roll.

Yesterday i changed to Eibach adjustable sway bars front and back. I'm driving in softest setting in front and mid setting back.

The car feels totally different now. Stiffer and feel more steering response. But they are heavy.

Also installed Strut Bar in front from Sportec. If you track the car this is a must was i told from several tuners.