Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

There is a thread on Rennlist about installing the Cayenne Sat tuner in a 997 by an audio shop, and the photo seems to show that it worked.

My question is this:

Would not the audio shop need to have a PIWIS tester to "Code" the sat tuner to the PCM?

You just can't add the module and it will be recognized or can you?

post-2-1138583731_thumb.jpg

(edit - fixed image - Loren)

Edited by Loren

According to the Cayenne install TSB some Cayenne's may not need to be coded. It may also depend on what other options are already on the car.

I will let you know shortly. :D I have the Sirius parts on order now for my 2006 997S!!!! :king:

Loren, the TSB has definitive PIWIS instructions. This leads me to believe it is required. I guess the question is...if the MOST Actual and MOST Required parameters match up exactly when you look it up on PIWIS, i.e., without needing to actually change any settings in PIWIS and instead just read the screen, it begs the question as to whether you needed to hook up PIWIS at all. In that case, would it be 'plug and play' without needing PIWIS? I will soon have an answer for this question. Do you have any info that would shed light?

Point of reference...adding the CD changer has similar steps in that the TSB for the CD changer has steps for PIWIS hook-up. But maybe the latest PCM2.1B changes whether PIWIS is required if the parameters already match up, unless this has always been the case.

Of course, I have never even seen PIWIS - yet. :jump:

See what happens? I become a contributing member, pay my $25.00, stay up all night and read TSBs on Renntech and learn enough to become dangerous. :rolleyes:

• Admin

Some functions can be preset using a PIWIS and some can not. Sometimes cars come with some options preset and sometimes not.

IMHO... the main reason for hooking up a PIWIS (or PST2) after an install is to see if there are any trouble codes generated by the install.

You won't really know if it is "required" until you try.

Thank you for donation - it all helps keep to this site running.

Some functions can be preset using a PIWIS and some can not. Sometimes cars come with some options preset and sometimes not.

IMHO... the main reason for hooking up a PIWIS (or PST2) after an install is to see if there are any trouble codes generated by the install.

You won't really know if it is "required" until you try.

Thank you for donation - it all helps keep to this site running.

I called parts and I am told parts should be here in about a week.

The trick is going to be gaining access to the existing GPS antenna. This resides under the plastic assembly beneath the wipers, or so I am told. Anyone wanna help me figure out how to gain access to this antenna? Do I need to remove the wipers? It looks as if there is a 'cap' at each end of that assembly. Do I remove the cap to get to the screws? A TSB on NAV install in a 997 would be quite helpful because presumably it discusses the GPS antenna installation.

A TSB on NAV install in a 997 would be quite helpful because presumably it discusses the GPS antenna installation.
TSBs are published (and sent out to subscribers) every quarter - so I am expecting them any time now.

Maybe its not a TSB. But is there an 'instruction sheet' as to how to remove that plastic assembly under the wipers where the gps antenna is located?

Sorry if I am being a bother, but I will post instructions if I get the sat radio installed and working in the 997.

• Admin

Have a look at TSB 9/04 9112 Navigation Module For PCM 2.1 Installation Instructions - dated Jan 10, 2005. It should give you some tips since it explains how to install the GPS antenna.

You remove the cowl cover from inside the front trunk. The side pieces come off like when your replace your pollen filter (see Owner's Manual). The center piece is either held on by velcro or screws I can't remember. You may need to get to the electronic storage area for wiring etc. For that there are 6 metal screws and one plastic nut (on the left side).

Where are you located?

Have a look at TSB 9/04 9112 Navigation Module For PCM 2.1 Installation Instructions - dated Jan 10, 2005. It should give you some tips since it explains how to install the GPS antenna.

You remove the cowl cover from inside the front trunk. The side pieces come off like when your replace your pollen filter (see Owner's Manual). The center piece is either held on by velcro or screws I can't remember. You may need to get to the electronic storage area for wiring etc. For that there are 6 metal screws and one plastic nut (on the left side).

Where are you located?

Thanks Loren. I am in Baltimore, MD.

Posters on other Boards are saying that Porsche now has sat radio available for the 997 as an official after-market dealer install. They also post that new orders have sat radio as an available option code.

Anyone have any news on this breaking info? Is there an official 997 part number now for sirius and XM?

I just wanted to ask a dumb question. How do you get the TSB's. do I ask a dealer or can they be downloaded somewhere. The titles that i have heard about would anwser whether i want to attack a NAV install on my 997 myself or have the dealer install it.

Here's what I have for the mod:

Regards,

Deanski

Here's what one member of the other forum got back from Porsche Germany dated 02/03/06:

Here's what one member on the other forum recvd from Porsche directly:

Forgive me for corresponding in English, but I am American.

I was unable to find an email address for the factory on the United States

website, however your address appears on the German website please forward

this to the proper department-thank you.

I recently ordered a 911 and await production and delivery. One option I

was looking for was to have satellite radio in the vehicle. Nothing on the

US website or information from my dealer can provide information to

integrate Satellite radio into the PCM. Apparently it is available in the

Cayenne. I called PCNA and the person with who I spoke was unable to

assist.

There are several web based bulletin boards where Porsche owners have

debated the way to integrate satellite into the PCM to no avail. There is a

large market in the United States for this ability.

No one apparently has reached out to Germany for the solution, therefore my

inquiry.

Please respond with a solution. Thank you for your consideration.

This morning I received the following reply:

Dear,

First of all, thank you for your purchase of a new Carrera. I am sure you

will be very pleased by your decision.

We have received many requests for a satellite radio option on our

sportscars. Unfortunately, until very recently there has not been adequate

antenna technology to allow a seamless integration of the antenna within

the confines of our sportscars. We are currently working with our suppliers

to find a solution.

In the meantime, both XM and Sirius offer retrofit kits that can be

installed in the vehicle on your own, unfortunately not integrated into

PCM. I realize this is not an ideal solution, but until we have a factory

developed offer this is the best alternative to obtain satellite service.

Kind regards,

Marianne Nebel

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche

Aktiengesellschaft

Dept. VO13

Porschestrasse 15 - 19

71634 Ludwigsburg

So as far as I know, the vendor has yet to perfect the antenna for the 997's.

Regards,

Deanski

(edit- remove images of TSBs - TSBs are for Contributing Members only - Loren)

Edited by Loren