Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

foam under carpet moist, but not carpet?

Hi after tearing out the interior to install stereo items I found the floorboards to be wet but the the carpet on top?? I would like to know if anyone has experienced this before?? I am going to attempt to check the drain lines pointed out by many not reall sure how I going to do it at this point but I am think of fishing it and testing. Please if anyone has dealt with this give me an idea of where to go with it. I would hate to go thorough all this only to put it all back together and find it wasn't the entire issue. TIA

Is it just water or something else like coolant / softdrink / coffee? Where is the carpet wet? Has it been raining a lot?

Drain line can be cleaned by poking hanger into the drain holes carefully. If the wet spots are near the door, perhaps rain got in while getting in or out of car.

Hi after tearing out the interior to install stereo items I found the floorboards to be wet but the the carpet on top?? I would like to know if anyone has experienced this before?? I am going to attempt to check the drain lines pointed out by many not reall sure how I going to do it at this point but I am think of fishing it and testing. Please if anyone has dealt with this give me an idea of where to go with it. I would hate to go thorough all this only to put it all back together and find it wasn't the entire issue. TIA

Unless you have a spill that is directly onto the top surface of the carpet, any moisture entering your car is most likely to exhibit itself in exactly this manner.

Whether through the doors, or from a backed up drain line, the water goes straight for the lowest point (floorboards), then gradually soaks up through the foam and then into the carpet backing.

Once you can feel it in the top surface of the carpet, you have had LOT of water enter your car. Ask me how I know.

Kim

2000 Cab

Well Tommorow I may very well pull the front carpet out of the car and attempt to dry it. I also plan to get a vinyl fishing tape and hit up the drain tubes as I think I spotted them today. I spoke with a guy at Imagine Auto here in KC. He said it is extremely odd to hear about the situation with the door carpet getting wet but not the inside of the door? and as for the foam but not the carpet on the floor he recommended that I check the plugs on the bottome of the car? Haven't had a chance to check yet, but it has not rained this week and prolly not for the next week (fingers crossed) I hope to catch it in the act with a little temptation from a garden hose. I'll post the findings incase anyone else should come across these odd happenings.

Oh and to hit on some of the notes here. There was nothing spilled, ( I waxed this car 4 times the first week I owned it), I haven't been near enough rain nor standing in it with any door or window open to allow it to get like that by far. But as I recollect I do remember that when I roll the window down outside air comes from the door speaker cover??? I wondering if there is some kind of connection there? I better leave this up so I don't forget it by morning.

I also plan to get a vinyl fishing tape and hit up the drain tubes as I think I spotted them today.

The access to the drain tubes is under the hood, one on each side of the battery. Remove the plastic covers and vacuum out ALL the debris that has probably collected in and around the tubes. Mine were covered in an inch of old leaves, pine needles and muck.

Once found, pour a small amount of water into each drain. Look for the water to drain out under the car, behind each front wheel. If one or both drains are blocked, the water will just sit in the drain well and you'll be dry under that side of the car.

If blocked, I recommend using forced air to clear them. The tubes routing make it difficult to get a fish tape through - you may damage the tubes. The service manual says to blow the tubes out from the bottom but I did it from the top. I used some plastic tubing that was the same diameter as the drain opening and compresed air. Worked like a charm - blew a nasty chunk of goo out the bottom and the standing water followed, clearing the tubes. You might be able to free the obstruction by simply blowing into the tube if compressed air is not available - that's how I cleared my other drain a year later.

FWIW - Checking/clearing the drain tubes is supposed to be SOP at the dealer for every service but mine looked as though they had never been touched. Good luck.

If it is on the passenger side, check the ac evap box for cracks. It is only covered by a piece of thin foam on my 99 and could have been easily damaged by a passengers feet. I found a hairline crack that allowed the same thing to happen. A thin coating of plumbers goop and no water for the past 3 years.