Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fabspeed V6 Cat Bypass Rattle

Here's an update as of Feb. 2007.

I finally got off my keister and took the car to an exhaust shop. It turns out that replacing the hanger is VERY important. Otherwise you risk damage to the (very expensive) flexible downtube connecting to the header. It took the guy about 20min. and he only charged me $50. In addition to support this also allowed the pipes to come closer together. He put a little sealant at the joint before tightening the c-clamp. Now the annoying rattle is almost completely gone.

Aaron

I just installed the Fabspeed 2ndary cat bypass pipe on my 2006 V6. The performance is great, but I have a nasty little rattle with hard accleration. This improves after the system warms up, but never dissappears entirely. I did notice some small exhauste leakage at the clamp. Could this be causing the noise?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Medtech

:cursing:

Edited by medtech

• 1 month later...

Medtech,

I have a 2006 turbo with the same exact problem. The noise is from the passenger side pipe bangging the forward differential as it spins. Bottom line, remove em'. Fabspeed is making and shipping products with known problems. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with, period. Joe, the owner, is a total loser. I am out $500 and he wont return calls or better yet refund my money. Dealing with Visa now! Good luck.

GL,

I have to agree with you about their poor customer service. I get few answers, and many excuses. They even forgot to send hardware with the pipe!

For those thinking about Fabspeed....well, I like the fact that I bypassed the 2nd cats, but the pipe is just a touch small, and I'm left with a noisy leak at the c-clamp which I'll have to pay a muffler guy to get rid of. I also don't like the fact that there are no mounting brackets on the bypass. I realize that the pipe doesn't weigh near as much, but I don't like the thing just swingin in the breeze, and will probably pay somone to make a custom bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with their inferior product :censored: ...I used hanger strap to anchor the pipe away from the diff, since there are no mounts on their pipe, but the rattle remained. It's more of a resonance/leak problem that Joe and Fabspeed definately know about (I've spoken to him personally on several occasions) but lend a DEAF ear to. I would not recommend Fabspeed for anything...go with another good company for your bypass/exhaust needs.

It's strange there is so difficult to make two such simple pipes (CTT). First I bought FVD pipes (German). They had hangers, but did not fit at all. Now I have Fbspeed pipes installed. They fit, but have no hangers.

The missing hangers concerns me as they are supposed to support the whole system, not only the bypass pipes. The systems becomes one piece when clamped to the aft part of the system.

However, FVD offered create service, they paid me back.

The Fabspeed piped arrived with no gaskets, bolts and nuts, only some decals.

I still have my original cats in spare.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my 06 V6 cayenne, and was doing some research about the bypass. I was planning on getting the fabspeed, because i had read so many good reviews of it. however,If everyone is in agreement not to get it, then what other brands are their to look at. Thanks.

side note: if i were to replace the filters, what would you go with, BMC or K&N

I just got my 06 V6 cayenne, and was doing some research about the bypass. I was planning on getting the fabspeed, because i had read so many good reviews of it. however,If everyone is in agreement not to get it, then what other brands are their to look at. Thanks.

side note: if i were to replace the filters, what would you go with, BMC or K&N

You could try Schnell. I don't know much about them though.

I went with the BMC filter. Some reviews said it was better. If you search on Ebay you might be able to find one for about $10 more than a K&N. Otherwise, I don't think it's enough of a difference to pay full prive vs. the K&N at only $40-50.

Medtech

• 1 year later...

I received my cat bypass pipes from Billy Boat Exhaust for my 06 Cayenne Turbo S on Wednesday. It does have all of the necessary hanger mounts, hardware and the workmanship/quality of their pieces look good. THEIR cat bypass system starts at the secondary cats and goes to the rear of the car just before the exhaust. Comes in 3 sections (actually 6 - 3 per side), is made of stainless steel AND cost about the same as you would get from the inferior resellers/dealers that also have Ferraris and Vettes on their websites.

I'll install the pipes in a couple of weeks when I have a spare weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...