Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

thoughts on an iPod and the CDR23

Beecher

I've been looking into adding a direct wired iPod to my 03 TT coupe. I have the CDR23 stereo with the fiber optics. I've found no help doing research on the various forums. There is no cassette player to work with, no one makes a direct interface kit like icelink. FM transmitters are pretty crappy. Here's a thought. Could the radio be opened up and an auxiliary input added? I would be happy to bypass the CD player and just have a wire going directly to the amp in place of the CD player. I've been thinking of pulling my radio and looking inside. Perhaps the CD button switches inputs and could be tapped? Is this a waste of time or is it possible? I don't know who repairs radios anymore, but perhaps a repair tech would know how to do this. Just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...

:unsure: This isn't really a solution to adding an iPod to the car, but it does get CD quality music of your choice playing. Use iTunes to make CDs of your favorite music, at 36 cents per CDR you can't go wrong. If I take a long trip in the Porsche, I plan on taking my laptop and a supply of CDRs. I can burn music for my next days driving. It's not ideal, but it beats the FM option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been looking into adding a direct wired iPod to my 03 TT coupe. I have the CDR23 stereo with the fiber optics. I've found no help doing research on the various forums. There is no cassette player to work with, no one makes a direct interface kit like icelink. FM transmitters are pretty crappy. Here's a thought. Could the radio be opened up and an auxiliary input added? I would be happy to bypass the CD player and just have a wire going directly to the amp in place of the CD player. I've been thinking of pulling my radio and looking inside. Perhaps the CD button switches inputs and could be tapped? Is this a waste of time or is it possible? I don't know who repairs radios anymore, but perhaps a repair tech would know how to do this. Just a thought...

Hi Beecher,

I've got an '03 BoxsterS and have the same interest in connecting an iPod to my CDR-23/MOST sound system. I've checked at least half-dozen forums and have come to the same dead-end you seemed to hit.

There appears to be no easy way to connect the iPod.

I am tempted to order the Becker manual....but I'm not sure it will help. As far as I have been able to find out the problem lies with the lack of a traditional analog AUX input on the CDR-23 head-unit. This connection, typically used for a CD changer, is a (digital) optical connection on the CDR-23. There may be at least three possible solutions for us iPod wannabees:

1) An analog-to-digital (optical) converter for the head-unit (a la the Denison promise)

2) Your suggestion. Find someone to hot-wire an analog input to the head-unit. I'm not sure how to do this.

3) Replace the head unit with an aftermarket unit with an AUX input conveniently located on the front panel. (check out alpine) I'm not sure how well this new head unit connects with the MOST system.

4) Live with an FM modulator system.

It seems most people have either given up on the direct iPod connection, and have gone with option 4) and its limited performance. The hard-core audiophiles have gone with option 3) I think.

Take care,

Karl

'03 Boxster S w/ Tip

Meridian/Metropol/Metropol