Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sports Chrono: More "Agressive" mapping?

So I'm reading around on Porsche NA's website about the neat options I didn't get on the car, one of which was the bump in the dash called the sports chrono package (or something to that effect). One of the things it provides is a "more agressive throttle response" .. what the heck, so those of us that have had our dashboard boils lanced get sluggish throttle response? How the heck does one go about getting said "better" response without the pain of a giant analog clock in the middle of the dash. :cursing:

More interesting is the new 997TT - only with the sports chrono package do you get the "10 second overboost" (or whatever) condition.

the gas peda-to-throttle linkage is no longer mechanical, it is electrical (aka "egas")

the sport chrono option remaps the response curve of the pedal to throttle ratio

meaning it makes more change in the increase of the throttle as you press down the pedal a given amount

yes it's lame:)

aloha

steve

So I'm reading around on Porsche NA's website about the neat options I didn't get on the car, one of which was the bump in the dash called the sports chrono package (or something to that effect). One of the things it provides is a "more agressive throttle response" .. what the heck, so those of us that have had our dashboard boils lanced get sluggish throttle response? How the heck does one go about getting said "better" response without the pain of a giant analog clock in the middle of the dash. :cursing:

More interesting is the new 997TT - only with the sports chrono package do you get the "10 second overboost" (or whatever) condition.

the gas peda-to-throttle linkage is no longer mechanical, it is electrical (aka "egas")

the sport chrono option remaps the response curve of the pedal to throttle ratio

meaning it makes more change in the increase of the throttle as you press down the pedal a given amount

yes it's lame:)

Its lame to some but it does make a noticable difference. The main reason for going for the option is that Sport mode gives you a much more relaxed PSM intervention point...... this means you can get the back out without the PSM cutting the power and spoiling the fun.

In the UK you could request Sport Chrono without the stopwatch but it never appeared as an official option so most people didn't realise it was possible.

Its lame to some but it does make a noticable difference. The main reason for going for the option is that Sport mode gives you a much more relaxed PSM intervention point...... this means you can get the back out without the PSM cutting the power and spoiling the fun.

so pardon me for being a neophite, but on the 987/S, doesn't WOT=WOT or 100% engaged regardless of whether or not you have a clock on the dashboard or not?

In other words, when I mash on the go pedal in a car w/ sports chrono vs a car without, I wouldn't expect a difference as my right foot would be firmly planted in the 100% position ... ??

The PSM intervention is fully understood and can sort of see the benefit if you are tracking the car. Also if this is an option without the clock on the dash, would it stand to reason that one could simply have this added after the fact, as it appears that most of the functionality appears to be engaged from a stalk off of the steering wheel anyway? So many questions ...

Thanks again,

Matt

Edited by mbodo

it's about the slope of the curve, not a difference at WOT

a given amount of throttle on a non-sport chrono car is different from a sport chrono car

it's a rate of change thing (that's what i think is lame- why can't we step on the pedal harder for free?)

i forgot about the lower PSM threshold- this makes a difference and is not lame

less intervention of PSM means greater slip angles and more fun :)

aloha

steve

so pardon me for being a neophite, but on the 987/S, doesn't WOT=WOT or 100% engaged regardless of whether or not you have a clock on the dashboard or not?

In other words, when I mash on the go pedal in a car w/ sports chrono vs a car without, I wouldn't expect a difference as my right foot would be firmly planted in the 100% position ... ??

The PSM intervention is fully understood and can sort of see the benefit if you are tracking the car. Also if this is an option without the clock on the dash, would it stand to reason that one could simply have this added after the fact, as it appears that most of the functionality appears to be engaged from a stalk off of the steering wheel anyway? So many questions ...

Thanks again,

Matt

What if you turn PSM off when on the track? I routinely do after the first run. Does Sport Chrono remap the PSM response when it's off? If it doesn't, then it's still lame :).

it's about the slope of the curve, not a difference at WOT

a given amount of throttle on a non-sport chrono car is different from a sport chrono car

it's a rate of change thing (that's what i think is lame- why can't we step on the pedal harder for free?)

i forgot about the lower PSM threshold- this makes a difference and is not lame

less intervention of PSM means greater slip angles and more fun :)

aloha

steve

A few replies to a few points......

WOT is no different...... the difference is that normally you don't simply mash your foot to the floor all the time (unless that is how you drive ;)), the big difference is throttle response...... it is a lot sharper and quicker in sport mode....... its VERY hard to explain other than saying the car feel MUCH sportier with it turned on.

PSM...... on track you can simply turn PSM off however sport mode gives you a middle ground which will still cut in if you get it wrong...... on dry track days I turn PSM off (but still have sport mode on for the throttle response) but on wet track days I leave PSM on and Sport mode on...... this allows some big slip angles without the risk of a spin (my car is a company car so I'd rather not explain why I trashed it on a track ;)). The sport PSM mode is great for the road as you can have some fun without too much risk of putting the car in a ditch...... its also a great tool to teach you the limits of the cars handling...... to start with PSM would tend to cut in before I had the car fully under control but now I can get the tail out on wet corners under control without PSM doing anything....... the same levels of tail slip are NOT possible in a normal car with PSM turned on.

Two other reasons why Sport Chrono is slightly more than a glorified stopwatch....... as with later PSM cuttin ABS also cuts in later allowing trail braking without interferance. A small point is also that sport mode gives you a hard rev limit cutoff so power is cut sharply at the limiter rather than tailing off smoothly in a non chrono car...... this has limited benefit to me but may be something to track stars?

I have a 997 S, Cab with Chrono. It does more than reduce the response time of the accelerator, it also stiffens the suspension significantly. It also provides several options of controling features in the car the non-chronos car owners will have to pay to have changed at the dealer. I like the feature, but I honestly don't use it that much. Trust me, there's no doubt when it's on becasue you feel it throughout the car as you push it hard.

Edited by happy911

I have a 997 S, Cab with Chrono. It does more than reduce the response time of the accelerator, it also stiffens the suspension significantly. It also provides several options of controling features in the car the non-chronos car owners will have to pay to have changed at the dealer. I like the feature, but I honestly don't use it that much. Trust me, there's no doubt when it's on becasue you feel it throughout the car as you push it hard.

Chrono doesn't change the suspension PASM does....... chrono on its own won't do anything to the suspension however pressing the Sport mode button will also put PASM (if fitted) into sport mode....... each can be used independantly....... eg press Chrono button and PASM goes into stiff suspension mode, by then pressing the PASM button you can turn it back to normal mode. If you also have a tiptronic slushmatic Chrono makes the gearchanges quicker........ I haven't tried the later option because automatic sportscars shouldn't be allowed :rolleyes:

Chrono doesn't change the suspension PASM does....... chrono on its own won't do anything to the suspension however pressing the Sport mode button will also put PASM (if fitted) into sport mode....... each can be used independantly....... eg press Chrono button and PASM goes into stiff suspension mode, by then pressing the PASM button you can turn it back to normal mode. If you also have a tiptronic slushmatic Chrono makes the gearchanges quicker........ I haven't tried the later option because automatic sportscars shouldn't be allowed :rolleyes:

Yup. Also agree with your comment on craptronics.