Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exhaust welding concern

This was posted on PPBB - just wanted to get another opinion before I move on this:

One of the tailpipe 'shrouds' on my PSE has broken and, the driver's side actuator is loose causing rattles.

Although the areas needing spotwelds are accessible, the guy doing the welding was concerned about high voltage possibly damaging systems on the car.

A friend of mine who builds vintage racers suggested that I bring the car by and have his builder re-weld the broken weld etc. The welder is accustomed to working on Ferraris and Alfas and expressed concern about his welding equipment (TIG I assume) producing high current pulses that might damage the ECU or other components. In addition, there's not room in the shop to bring the car inside so it would need to be done outside. Both breaks are accessible without removing the system.

My gut tells me to remove the PSE and take it to the shop as much for access as safety. Am I being overly cautious? I'd rather not waste half a day removing and reinstalling my exhaust system.

I'm not committed to using my friend's resource and can find a shop who can accomplish the job and I really don't relish removing the PSE if I don't have to.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Any shop that does welding should have a surge protector... it's a device that hookups to the battery and protects the electronics in the car. It's not only the DME you have to worry about as newer cars can have several electronic control units that could be damaged from MIG/TIG welding. Any place that sells welding supplies should have a surge protector, the last one I bought was $70.00CDN. Well worth the money and I have used them for years with success.

Remove the exhaust and take it in. One other welding anomaly is the fact that as current passes through the weld tip to the parent metal of whatever it is you are welding, current arcs across any tiny gaps (this current circuit is created by the earth you have to connect to the weld job) - like crankshaft journal surfaces, valve guide to valve stem gaps - you get the idea........all these little arcs create high and low spots on the metal surfaces involved - and you can get rapid failure of those moving parts.

Edited by geza

I have not relied on anything on ppbb in almost 5 years. :lol:

Jeff, while I understand your rage, you need anger management! Burning your Boxster hurts only you - not anyone else.

(sarcasm warning)

:jump:

Remove the exhaust and take it in. One other welding anomoly is the fact that as current passes through the weld tip to the parent metal of whatever it is you are welding, current arcs across any tiny gaps (this current circuit is created by the earth you have to connect to the weld job) - like crankshaft journal surfaces, valve guide to valve stem gaps - you get the idea........all these little arcs create high and low spots on the metal surfaces involved - and you can get rapid failure of those moving parts.

I just spoke to the welder and he's aware of the surge protectors and also of the possibilities of pitting that you mention. There's only one correct way to do this.

All of the comments have been really helpful.

It's like zen: There's right action and 'not to do'.

Being inherently lazy, I was looking for the E-Z way. Being inherently anal though I prefer doing things the correctly.

Right action is that I will pull the PSE and take it to the shop. There are just too many risks to do it any other way. Or as Todd said - Cheap Insurance.

Thanks again for returning me to the path of righteousness.

:notworthy:

Sounds like a plan. Any questions come up during removal, feel free to email me.

Good luck!

Thanks Gundo - Renntech Rocks! doesn't it?

My greatest concern is removing the system particularly loosening the clamp bolts - any thoughts on applying penetrating oil/wd40 etc?

• Moderators
out of curiosity, what happened to that poor thing? (yes I know it was on fire at one point)

Maybe the owner was a smoker. Or a welder.

Here is another - think he was welding a muffler. :unsure:

Peter Smith said if you have proper welding equipment then you only need to disconnect the battery.

post-4-1140292508_thumb.jpg