Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I can't believe this

This Tuesday I dropped off my 997 at the dealer to get a scratch buffed off. I found this scratch when I was picking up the car. The salesperon told me that it's so minor scratch and it can be buffed right away. He promised that they will take care of it later since it was very late and raining hard. So I decided to take the car home since I didn't want to wait another 6 months for the car.

When I brought the car in Tuesday morning, they said I should be able to get my car by afternoon since it's gonna be simple buffing off job.

In the afternoon, they called me and said it will probably take a couple of days. They continusouly said it's very simple job, but they wanted to make sure to do the job right. So I said I would wait.

On Wednesday, I got another call saying they sent the car to a shop who are the best in town and the car will be ready by Friday morning. I thought something might be going on, but they repeatly told me that they wanted to do this right. <_<

Today, I was so exicted to get my car back. During last 3 days, I missed my car so much. However, there was no call from the dealer in the morning. So I called service department and asked them what's going on. They said it's still in the shop and they will get back to me after talking to the shop. I waited but there was no call, so I called up the sales person and asked what's going on. He told me that he will get the service manager call me. But nobody called me. At this point, I was getting really worried. :censored:

I looked up the shop on the internet for the phone number and found out that it's auto rebuild shop, not the detail shop. I sensed that something is really wrong. I called them up and asked them what's up with my car. They said they repainted the quarter panel of the car and waiting to dry up so they can re-assemble my car. :cursing:

I got really upset and ran to the dealership. They said the person who sent the car to this shop is off today and there is nobody knows what's going on. :censored: Anyway, they offered me free sport exhaust and one free service maintenance as a compensation for this trouble.

Do you think I should take this? What would do if you were in my shoes?

Heejin in Seattle

Edited by Heejin

No way I would take this car back, You bought a BRAND NEW CAR with what you were told was a scratch that could be buffed out. They went and re-painted it without telling you. Demand they buy it back and buy one from their nearest competitior. It is damaged goods, F them, your in the lo$er seat from day one. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, TOTALLY SHADY, even if it was a KIA. Best of luck, keep us posted.

....so I took it home with the condition that the dealer will fix this later.

Anyway, they offered me free sport exhaust and one free service maintenance as a compensation for this trouble.

Do you think I should take this? What would do if you were in my shoes?

From what you mention, it seems you took delivery of your car will full knowledge of the blemish, with agreement for repair at a later date. This is key.

In addition, it would seem as if it was repaired in accordance with industry protocols. It does not appear that the method of repair was guaranteed to be one way or another. Besides that, a buffing is in no way a given superior cosmetic repair to a proper, professional re-spray with proper fill and prep, if applicable. Don't be alarmed that they took the time to remove a bumper, panel, moulding, tail lamp, or whatever to do the job right. You wouldn't want them to mask off everything like Earl Scheib.

Finally, it certainly seems they offered exceptional compensation for your inconvenience.

Look at the repair. If it is to your satisfaction, promptly forget about it and get back to enjoying your car.

FWIW. --Brian

I agree with Brian. You took delivery knowing there was a flaw. They're doing their best to do the job right and tossed in some comp for your trouble. That's no excuse for poor communication, bad service and significant delays--unprofessional. I understand your frustration, but you accepted the vehicle as is, with a promise. If it were bad, I would have said keep the car. You're in love, let 'em fix her (to your complete satisfaction). I still think the manager of the dealership deserves some of your thoughts, given thier poor service.

they offered me free sport exhaust and one free service maintenance as a compensation for this trouble.

The dealership really should have disclosed they were gonna repaint the panel... but a good quality paint shop (that has tons of experience painting high end cars) will do it right and it should'nt affect your resale... Its not the same as wrecking the car.... the only thing that might affect you at resale is if the shop isn't experienced and you end up with a mismatched tone from car to resprayed panel.... or orange peel where the rest of the car is smooth...

I have had hoods resprayed to fix massive rock chips and when done by a really good shop... never could tell a difference....

so... make em do it right.. until your happy... enjoy your FREE PSE (which is gotta be the best Posche option ever) and enjoy the ride....

~ erik

I stopped by the dealership to pick up by car. It looked OK, but found out that there are some area where the paint is kind of dull. :censored: In addition, I could see some white stains on my leather interior, specially back of the driver seat. I told them to take care of it by tomorrow. If they are not able to remove the stain, I am planning to ask them to replace the leather interior.

Another day without my 997 :help:

Heejin in Seattle

I think dealer did a disservice. They probably tried to buff out the scratch and burned the paint in doing so. Then they send your car to be repainted. I'd not go there again as they are doing more damage than good. Ask the body shop what happened. If this is true, dealer damaged your car and you are entitled to compensation (repaint, depreciation, loss of use). I'd prefer to get an estimate on the loss and ask for a check. The PSE and maintenace would probly be close to the depreciation but I'd not trust these people. Give the owner of the dealership a call and make a deal on compensation.

I think dealer did a disservice. They probably tried to buff out the scratch and burned the paint in doing so. Then they send your car to be repainted. I'd not go there again as they are doing more damage than good. Ask the body shop what happened. If this is true, dealer damaged your car and you are entitled to compensation (repaint, depreciation, loss of use). I'd prefer to get an estimate on the loss and ask for a check. The PSE and maintenace would probly be close to the depreciation but I'd not trust these people. Give the owner of the dealership a call and make a deal on compensation.

I like the idea of getting the diminitiion of value due to the paint work. Don't let ANYONE tell you the car is the same after it's painted, it's simply not true. I've traded many high-end cars in and they always spot the paint work no matter how well its done and you get dinged. So, negotiate now for the price you'll pay later. The PSE's for the trouble and poor service, not the reduced value.

Edited by happy911

If the paint is non metallic - i.e. a solid color, then matching it should be easy for a good body shop.

If the paint is metallic, then the same applies, as long as a good body shop is doing the job.

A slightly dull finish may well be the fact that buffing it so soon after the new paint job is difficult........repairs are always at the dealer's discretion in order to bring it back to "as new" condition. Maybe a final buff after the cure time will yield better finish results.

The real issue here seems to be the fact that the dealer did not disclose the repair method to you.......but they did not necessarily have to either. Sometimes scratches are not able to be buffed out..........

If the paint job looks ex factory after it has cured and been buffed, plus you have PSE and a service to boot - you should be happy.

If the paint job is not "as new" when all is said and done, then you should be on the phone to Porsche North America - with a follow up fax/letter to keep the issue open for future rectification.

Edited by geza

I picked up my car today.

They buffed off the dull area so it looks ok now. I can see that protective sticker on the fender has some bubbles but didn't want to argue with them any longer.

They just think they are so generous to give me the PSE and the service. One of the service man even tried to sell me the clear side marker for $50 when I was picking up my car :cursing:

I am just happy that I got my 997 back.

Heejin in Seattle.