Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Colored Porsche emblem for pre-'02 key

I've got an '01 Boxster (3 button remote on key). I saw a key for an '02, and it has a colored Porsche emblem on the back side. Mine just has a plain (non-colored) silver Porsche emblem. The '02 and later style looks much nicer :D

Are replacement key head covers available with the colored emblem, without spending $100+ for the electronics inside? My dealer parts guy said "no". I looked at the PET and the Renntech Retail Price search, and part number 996-637-443-00 is listed for 02 and later models and is described as "emblem colored for key lamp and remote control", list price of $7.50. Will this just stick on and I've done what I want? Nothing could be this easy, could it? Anyone know what 996-637-443-00 really is and how it fits?

• Moderators

Porsche list it for a 2002 and up because that is when the colored crest started. That does not mean it will not work with your 2001 silver crest. It would be nice if Porsche would put notations in it's parts list to indicate if certain parts will fit all years, but they do not do that.

I have given that part number out several times when people ask why their crest is silver (because they have an older car) when they see newer cars with the colored crest. They want to know if they can buy a new (and expensive) remote so they can have a colored crest.

I tell them to buy just a crest and see if it can be swaped. They never have reported back to me so I do not know if they did it and were able to pry off the silver crest and stick on a new one.

If you will be the big spender and buy the crest I will ask one of the mechanics if they have a defective silver crest remote so I can see if I can just pry if off with no damage to the plastic remote. I be it is just held down with some type of adhestive.

Porsche list it for a 2002 and up because that is when the colored crest started. That does not mean it will not work with your 2001 silver crest. It would be nice if Porsche would put notations in it's parts list to indicate if certain parts will fit all years, but they do not do that.

If you will be the big spender and buy the crest I will ask one of the mechanics if they have a defective silver crest remote so I can see if I can just pry if off with no damage to the plastic remote. I be it is just held down with some type of adhestive.

As I start doing more things to my car, it really would be nice if there was some documentation on what new parts work on older models. I'm sure with the 997/987, some parts will work on the older models and others won't. Porsche has to be doing something like this so they can claim 80+% of the parts on each new model as being new. A reference would be nice, maybe this could be another forum here, just like the DIY one. :thumbup: Hey Loren, are you listening?

I will order the colored crest. PCNA is doing an open house and "VIP" tour of their parts distribution operation in Ontario, CA on April 8. Parts are 20% off. Not as good as Sunset, but no shipping, so works out OK for small/cheap parts like this. Maybe some of you Northern California guys want to do a field trip that weekend! Everyone could see and buy parts in the morning, then do a work on cars session that afternoon in the parking lot. :D

• Moderators

I have always wanted to go to one of those things in Ontario.

When I started Boxstering 7 years ago Ontario did not exist. Parts and the training center for NorCal was in Reno. In fact, I think PCNA was also in Reno back then before it moved to Atlanta.

So it took 2 seconds with a jewelers screwdriver. Bling.....

I do not have a 3 button remote to play around with yet to see if there is any difference. The key head in my picture is a 996 2 button.

post-4-1141441482_thumb.jpg

I have always wanted to go to one of these things in Ontario.

7 years ago Ontario did not exist. Parts and the trainting center for NorCal were in Reno. In fact, I think PCNA was also in Reno back then.

So it took 2 second with a jewelers screwdriver. Bling.....

Very nice! How does the colored Porsche shield attach - snap in or glue?

If you want to come down and do a work on car keys after the Ontario tour, here's a link to the flyer: http://pcala.clubpublish.com/Default.aspx?...ails&eventid=27

• 2 weeks later...
So it took 2 seconds with a jewelers screwdriver. Bling.....

I do not have a 3 button remote to play around with yet to see if there is any difference.

OK - I couldn't wait for the Ontario tour and bought the colored crest. My black-and-silver one seems stuck on pretty good. Where did you pry up, and did you end up destroying the old one in the process?

And the answer is...

• Before

s0xszk.jpg

The silver/black crest was pretty stubborn and wouldn't come off with a little jewlers screwdriver, so I heated it up with a blow dryer on high for a couple of minutes, and it came right off

• During

s0xt6q.jpg

The monochrome and color crests (part number 996-637-443-00) look to be the same shape, but they're not exactly! The new one is less pointy and wider at the bottom of the crest. So I used a jewlers screwdriver to carefully carve out more room for it to fit in the recessed space from the old crest - checking fit frequently

• After

s0xtdx.jpg

It's not 100% perfect if you examine it under high magnification, but looks just fine from 4" away. I used some high quality black silicon as the adhesive, since it looked like a little button of clear silicon was all that was securing the original one in. I clamped it for a few hours until the silicon started to cure, and wiped away any excess silicon that spilled out before fully cured. (I pulled the key apart - remote electronics and key blade - when working on it, glueing and clamping to mimimize danger of messing anything up).

• Moderators

A real fashion statement.

I went to a tech session at a local body shop yesterday. There was a 1997 Box in the shop with the key in the door. It had a colored crest on the 2 button remote.

The 1997 owner did something to get that colored crest.

post-4-1143434176_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I do not have a 3 button remote to play around with yet to see if there is any difference. The key head in my picture is a 996 2 button.

Tool Pants, is this for your 986? I have a 996 2-button remote 996.637.244.42, but the dealers say they can't program it to my '00 986. I think they are just don't know.

Does the '97 Boxster have a 1-button remote? I found reference to a 1-button remote somewhere.

Mine is a 2-button remote. I'm trying to find out what flavors of 2-button remotes there are. The part number I listed in the post above is actually the innards of a CGT key head. 2 dealers have tole me they can't program it to my car. I think they just hear CGT and go "Whoa, I dunno. Can't do it." But, it is actually a 996 key with the tag number above.

I know there are at least 2 versions of innards in the Boxster 2-button keys. I'm trying to figure out if the one used in the 996 keyhead is the same as one of the Boxster 2-button innards. If so, I should be able to get it programmed to my car. It is a 315MHz version and the programming codes on the key tag have the same number of digits, etc., as my Boxster key.