Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Quick question. How do you know when you have a B & M short shifte

I installed mine last night and everything went smoothly, but when I snapped the shift rods back in I was unsure on the adjustment. You can move the shifter fore and aft which would effect where the rod falls in the carrier. I just tried to place the shifter near center and had the rod in nuetral and then snapped it in. If you have done this mod, you should know what I am talking about. I took the car out for a test drive and all gears engaged fine, but I was not going through them quickly at high power. My concern is that it seems you could place the rod in slightly off and have the shifter engaging fully in 1-3 and 5 and only part way in 2-4 and 6 or vise versa. This may cause you to pop out of gear on the partially engaged ratios or cause undue wear. I hope that this all makes sense to someone and they can tell me how to ensure that rod placement in the carrier is correct. The directions just show putting the rod back in, but there is definately an adjustment aspect to that. What if I forgot to mark them before I removed them? I know that I have read that on this forum, but last night I was reading the B & M instructions and I do not think that it said anything about marking the shaft. Anyway, now that I have forgotten that step, is there any way to make sure that I have it put back together right? As I said, it goes through all of the gears smoothly now, but I have not exposed it to any hard shifting under power like you would do at a track event. I just want to ensure that I do not have ite slightly off and cause undue wear that might result in large problems down the line. I appreciate any help anyone can give. Also, I do not need any "you should have marked them" comments. I know! I screwed up...where do I go from here?Any help would be appeciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Edited by PJF