Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2001 996 C4 Key Blank Blade

Anyone know where (North West England) I can get a key blank cut for my C4. All the spare keys were lost by previous owners. Got hold of a fob just need the blade and to get it programmed.

Should I buy a cheap blade off ebay - will anyone cut & program this for me? Is it just main dealers who can do this or auto-electrical places?

Thanks.

Anyone know where (North West England) I can get a key blank cut for my C4. All the spare keys were lost by previous owners. Got hold of a fob just need the blade and to get it programmed.

Should I buy a cheap blade off ebay - will anyone cut & program this for me? Is it just main dealers who can do this or auto-electrical places?

Thanks.

when i bought my new to me 2000 996, the car only came with one key.

the mercedes dealer i bought it from had to order a key from porsche.

i assume that porsche needed the vin# in order to create an exact duplicate.

i had to take it to my local dealer for programming.

so the answer is= your local p-car dealer.

hope this helps.

Thanks.

I can't answer your first question...but I know for a fact that a good locksmith can cut your key. I went to my dealer, bought the blanks from him for $15 and they referred me to a local lock smith to get them cut. It was pricey about $35 but they did a good job and was a lot cheaper than having to re-order the copy of a key from the dealer.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

As far as I understand only Porsche Centres can reprogram the transmitter, because you need a key learning code from the Porsche IPAS system.

But from a legal point of view I'd make sure that I'd disclose to my insurance company in writing and with written acknowledgement that all the spare keys have been lost by the previous owner. Otherwise you might well have a major problem is ever the car got stolen. Each transmitter (within your set of three keys) has a unique code, and if a key is lost or stolen, this unique code can be deleted from the system so it can no longer be used to start the car.

Regards,

Uwe

Edited by umn

As far as I understand only Porsche Centres can reprogram the transmitter, because you need a key learning code from the Porsche IPAS system.

But from a legal point of view I'd make sure that I'd disclose to my insurance company in writing and with written acknowledgement that all the spare keys have been lost by the previous owner. Otherwise you might well have a major problem is ever the car got stolen. Each transmitter (within your set of three keys) has a unique code, and if a key is lost or stolen, this unique code can be deleted from the system so it can no longer be used to start the car.

Actually, this probably does not represent the problem you fear:

When new keys are put in use with a 996, it is the CAR that is programmed to accept the keys .... not the keys programmed to match the car. The keys transmit the same code no matter what .... the car can be set to recognize or ignore a key.

When I had my new keys mated to my car, one of the choices on the PST2 was to "cancel any or all existing keys". In other words, the car's central computer can be told to ignore any previous key fob transmitters that were mated to the car. If a new owner has any fear of keys floating around, this is a good option.

FWIW

Kim

2000 Cab

• Moderators

You can order what Porsche calls a stipulated key. You supply the VIN and the key is cut from that. When I replaced my missing valet key years ago that is what I did. My dealer had the key cutting machine but the parts guys did not like to use it.

You can open the doors, console, and turn on the ignition with just the metal key shank. But the car will not start. So if the lost keys have been deleted from the control unit but they later show up, you can still get into the car.

To program a new key you need a key learning code from Porsche, and a PST2/PIWIS to code it to the car. Problem is, Porsche will not give out that code to just anyone. In the old days the dealer faxed a request form to Reno/Atlanta, and Reno/Atlanta faxed back another form with the code. I guess it is done electronically now.

In my area we have 2 independent shops that have a PST2. Porsche will not give them the codes. They have to ask a Porsche dealer who then has to ask Porsche for the code.

Actually, this probably does not represent the problem you fear:

Hi,

The problem I see is that at least in the UK insurance contracts are contracts of "uberrimae fidei" or utmost good faith and a failure to disclose material information could allow the insurance underwriter to avoid the contract. The question is simply whether the prior loss of keys would constitute material information that should have been disclosed to the underwriter. At the end of the day that would be a question of fact, but I wouldn't take my chances.

Cheers,

Uwe

Edited by umn