Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

I have searched through the forum's and only found very limited information about this.

The Car below is a 1998 Boxster RWD Midmount 2.5 Convertable 5-speed

I have this car down here because my mother has my car. Ever since I have started driving the car, a series of thing have started happening. The first happened just last week, where the Ebrake wouldn't come on, I tried to figure out what the problem was thinking it was the plunger sensor on the Ebrake inside the console. I then filled the car up today with "racetrack" brand 93 fuel earlier today, and about halfway to my destination *about 30 more miles till i am at my destination* I have a check engnine light appear. Being the car guy that I am, I pull the car over and goto the nearest autozone to get a check on the ECU. The codes that were pulled were:

P1691

Manfacurer Contrl.

Auxiliary Inputs

Auxiliary Outputs

P1123

Manfacurer Contrl.

Fuel Air Metering

I then spoke with the local Porsche stealership in my home town, and the guy said that the P1123 was and could be the timing, as the car has 95k on it. He then went on to say that the P1691 could be a potential problem with the cluster coming up. I became a bit afraid at the cost that I started getting told by the stealership. So I'm just wondering is it time to just sell the car / trade it, or would it be even remotely feasible as we have already dumped almost 4k into this car in the past 2 months. Does any of this sound like a few major problems. Thanks for replying.

• Admin

P1691 - Check Engine Malfunction Indication light (MIL) - Open Circuit

That fault says you have a open wire in the CEL circuit somewhere between the DME and instrument cluster. Has the cluster been out recently? Could be just a loose connector.

P1123 - Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Lean Threshold

I don't see what your dealer is talking about with timing. This fault means that the DME can not lean the mixture enough (you are running too rich) on one bank. If this occurred right after getting gas I would reseat the gas cap - clear the fault and see if it occurs again.