Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

expansion tank 99/00 vs 01-04

Hello,

I was wondering, is it true that while the 99/00 expansion tanks can be replaced easily the 01-04 ones which are larger (I saw on pelicanparts.com the pictures show the 01-04 ones as being substantially larger) require the engine to be dropped a few inches to be able to get it in and out? I was buying an air filter, walked back to the car and saw a puddle dripping. It was the expansion tank, but since it was a Saturday the car had to stay there until Monday to be repaired. I'm wondering if they weren't right because another forum told me it can be replaced without lowering the engine, and if that's the case I could have done it myself and had the car for this beautiful weekend instead of a Chevy Malibu. It's warrantied, so I don't think they would lie about it but another forum told me they weren't telling the truth.

It's a 2002 C2 6-speed US btw (artic silver on metropol blue and new to me as of two weeks ago...well new to my dad, I'm just home for easter break).

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by marlinspike

So you're saying that on both the 99-2000 and the 01-04 cars it can be done without lowering the engine a bit to make more room? I've seen in the forums how to do it on a 99, and it's easy, but the 01-04 cars have a substantially bigger tank so I'm wondering if that makes the difference of having to lower the engine.

• Moderators
So you're saying that on both the 99-2000 and the 01-04 cars it can be done without lowering the engine a bit to make more room? I've seen in the forums how to do it on a 99, and it's easy, but the 01-04 cars have a substantially bigger tank so I'm wondering if that makes the difference of having to lower the engine.

Try it and see. Make sure that the tank is empty and just wiggle it out. You should remove the secondary air injection pump and the air intake snorkel first. Once that stuff is out of the way, you will see how much room you have.

Worst thing that could happen is that you get hung up on the fuel supply rail for the injectors, if that happens it is easy to move that out of the way.

Well, OE, I'm guessing you wouldn't say it on two forums unless you had already done it, so I'm officially pissed at HBL. So I come home for break Friday night, saturday morning the expansion tank busts, and if they were honest and just sold me the part I'd be back on the road Saturday afternoon. Instead we don't have the car for the beautiful Saturday and Sunday weather, and we will have it monday night when the weater goes to crap, and I leave Tuesday morning. I wish my dad would listen to me sometimes, I was telling him before we even went to buy the air filter that we shouldn't buy parts from the pack of liars at HBL (my experience with their MB dept).

• Moderators

Don't get mad, these are your salad days, so you can just treat this as a learning experience.

If you look at the Pelican parts pictures, the later tanks are not bigger in width, just a little longer than the earlier tanks.

You have to remember that service centers are in business to make money, and a coolant tank R&R is an easy buck. If you cave-in, don't worry, learn from what you paid for and then you will know for the next time.

Porsche did a very good job in designing the engine bay for easy servicing. A good tech can R&R a complete engine in 2 hours, so a little coolant tank can't be that hard.

Enjoy your break.

Well, here's the thing, I do all my own work on my car and my parents cars, so I know my way around cars, and I said to the service guy let me just buy the part and I'll do it, and the mechanic who was hanging around there perked up and said oh no you have to lower the engine blah blah blah, I didn't even bother look I just took his word for it. The other thing is that since this was warranty work I didn't even think to question it, who'd think they'd lie to a customer just to get another warranty job? I do know this much: when we go in to pick it up, once I have the car in my possession (or at least eyesight), I'll note to them that I looked it up and the engine doesn't have to be lowered and I'll let them know what I've long thought about their MB service and what I now think of their Porsche service. I wasn't even planning to come home for break, I just did it because of the car.

Edited by marlinspike

• Moderators

Maybe they were just being on the conservative side to get the tank out. Certainly nothing wrong with lowering the engine, it is just not necessary. Maybe the technician does not know that the tank can be removed with the engine in place.

No sense in busting their chops on this one, especially if the tab went on warranty. I would suggest that when you critique the techs work, suggest to him that the tank can be removed with the engine in place by turning the tank sideways and wiggling it past the fuel rail. This would work much better than suggesting that they were being untruthful to you. :rolleyes:

But now you know, so if you ever have to do it yourself, you can feel confident when you do it.

Well I know with MB (back when I was 10 or something like that, it's how I got started in doing my own work in full, rather than just doing my own oil changes and the like) we had a car that needed a new door handle, and they said oh you gotta take off the door blah blah big job etc, so I looked it up, and there was an access point in the door, you undo one, yes 1, screw, pop out the handle, replace it, put the screw back and job done...so they have a history of doing this as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, "lowering the engine" is not a big deal. Just back two nuts down an inch or so while supporting the engine with a lift. Provides a good bit of extra space to work (though not really necessary for the expansion tank replacement, at least on a 2000 MY).

Son of a...because we also had them look at the seat bottom that wouldn't raise/lower at the back, the car actually won't be ready until tomorrow because they have to wait on a cable to be fedex'd to them from Atlanta...so I guess this isn't like MB where 90% of the parts I could ever need for my 20 year old MB are in stock, and the ones that aren't can be had same day because they have two trucks come in from NJ each day. So the quality isn't there and the dealer support network isn't there; an auspicious beginning for the ownership of our first Porsche (4 BMW's 4 MB's and a few American cars, but first Porsche). Came home for break and drove the car for all of about 5 minutes.

• 3 months later...

Spike,

I just did an expansion tank replacement on my 01 996 Tip Cab.

Unnecessary to lower engine. I did however find out the hard way

( a learning experience) by removing the coolant level sensor first

it allows more tank clearance and makes the extraction smoother.

Newbie Porsche owner

SeaVoh

• Upvote 1