Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Inconsistencies with my PSE

I just picked my car up from the dealer after getting a new PSE installed...

First, when I started the car a warning came up on the display; "System Fault Visit Workshop". They brought it back into the garage and cleared the code... Not sure if that had anything to do with the PSE...

When driving in Sport mode I do notice a difference, but it seems to be going on and off. It's loud from idle to about 2,500RPM then seems to fade out sometimes, if I hold it in that range it then gets louder sometimes.

I don't know if I'm going crazy, if the system needs to be used a few times, if the valves are getting stuck, or if there's a programming error...

Anyone have any ideas?

I will bring her back to the dealer sometime this week to have them check it out I guess...

My '06 997 was optioned with the PSE from the factory.

If I drive with very light throttle input and it will not go quiet as it passes through the rev range you describe.

Like yours, if my foot is in it, it goes quiet between about 30 - 50 mph.

I believe this is correct operation by design.

After driving the car a few more times I feel like the system is working in reverse...

Is it supposed to get quieter as throttle input increases?

Is there anyway my dealership can program the computer for it to be on all the time when the Sport button is active... Like I original thought when I ordered it...

After driving the car a few more times I feel like the system is working in reverse...

Is it supposed to get quieter as throttle input increases?

Is there anyway my dealership can program the computer for it to be on all the time when the Sport button is active... Like I original thought when I ordered it...

My new '06 C2S with PSE from factory works like a champ! As soon as I hit the Sport button, you can hear the exhaust note change as the valve opens. Even at idle.

Take it back to the dealer and see if you can "play" with a 997 that has it from factory and you'll hear the change right away. Then tell them to make yours the same. It may be a simple fix.

Deanski

Benny,

You can make the PSE go loud all the time by pulling the power connector off of the servo valve that controls the exhaust flaps.

I've read that the PSE gets its "open/close" signal from the ECU, and is designed to respond to part-throttle application by shutting the flaps - giving you a quieter cruise mode. Also, there are certain speed regimes where the computer says "quiet time" - I'm assuming that there's no work-around except disconnection. Theoretically, if you step down hard on the pedal, it should get loud.

If you find out differently, let me know. Even in "loud" mode, it's not ever that loud in the cockpit, IMHO...

-don

Thanks for the help guys...

Between 0km/h and 70km/h the valves close with more than a quarter throttle. Above 70km/h it stays open no matter what.

There is a noticeable difference in sound, I have no doubt that it's working. A nice low grumble when I start the engine and a great sound when it stays open.

I just figured that since we don't have the same sound restrictions that exist in Europe they would have a different program available.

I would love to find a way for the system to be always on when in Sport and off in normal...

Well I've caved for now and unplugged the power connector for the valves...

Sounds great, but I can see how there would be some situations where you'd like it to be quieter.

Anyway, I'm happy with the solution for now.

I've used a tie wrap to stop the unplugged connector from flapping around, should I worry about it touching any of the hoses?

post-4793-1147183611_thumb.jpg

Benny, the wire tie solution is excellent. Don't worry about the hoses, you likely won't chafe them.

Sounds good, doesn't it? I will admit that I do hit the quiet button at times (especially when motoring thru the subdivision in the early am or late pm). In the long term, you probably want to have the dealer check this one out. Make sure you plug it back in before you visit the dealer... <g>

Hey, I've read that European noise regs are stricter than the US. Do you know different?

Let me know. Good luck!

Cheers,

-don

I love being able to turn it on and off at will. The best thing is getting next to one of those "rice" cars, you know, the ones with the coffee-can muffler hanging out the back and sounding like a chain saw? A quick flip of the switch and it's loud. The next thing he sees is the rear of my Aerokit wing or "flying taco" as I pass in front by a long distance without any effort.

Nice to be a bit stealthy at times! :D

Deanski