Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE install with Gemballa parts

Hi, I finally bought myself a used PSE on Ebay. The exhaust came with the OEM wiring set but the Gemballa parts to hook it up to the vacuum supply. Since the installation is quite different to the Porsche install I have a few questions.

First of all the Gemballa vacuum tank is made of metal and quite heavy. It’s supposed to be installed in the engine bay left of the hood lock but I would rather choose the same location as in the original setup. Since the OEM tank looks like it’s made of plastic I’m not sure if the original tank holder will bear the weight of my Gemballa part.

post-3714-1147781440_thumb.jpg

Also Gemballa routes the wires for the switch over valve through a different rubber grommet at the lower left in front of the engine. I wonder if the wires would still be long enough to reach the mentioned position if I choose the ‘usual’ route.

I’m already thinking about just getting the missing parts and putting together my own Porsche set but I would need to get all the parts below and have no idea how expensive they are:

477 971 881 A Holder for vacuum tank

4x 928 574 717 03 Protective sheath bent

900 918 048 40 3m of Tekalan-hose

4x 999 512 069 02 hose clamps

2x 111 971 911 A rubber grommets

2x 917 355 021 00 teflon hoses with stainless steel mesh

3x 928 573 727 03 Y-connectors

443 906 102 G rubber boot for electrical connector

993 110 140 03 vacuum tank

Not wiring the PSE is not an option because unlike the U.S. we have to get an entry in the car’s papers after the installation of the PSE which will only be made if I bring in a certification of my Porsche dealer that the install was done correctly. Another good reason to buy the Porsche parts since the PSE is not supposed to be mixed with the Gemballa parts and I’m not really sure if my dealer would sign the certificate if I do a mixed install. I really envy you guys that you have no ‘TUV’.

Maybe there’s a member who chose not to wire up his PSE and wants to sell some of the above parts at a reasonable price. I have no idea what the shipping costs to Germany would be though. I guess it must be at least 25$.

I would really appreciate you opinion on this. Right now I’m not really sure which way to go but can’t wait to get my PSE installed. Just have to explain my wife why I would need to spend another day in the garage…

Thorsten

First of all the Gemballa vacuum tank is made of metal and quite heavy. It’s supposed to be installed in the engine bay left of the hood lock but I would rather choose the same location as in the original setup. Since the OEM tank looks like it’s made of plastic I’m not sure if the original tank holder will bear the weight of my Gemballa part.

Also Gemballa routes the wires for the switch over valve through a different rubber grommet at the lower left in front of the engine. I wonder if the wires would still be long enough to reach the mentioned position if I choose the ‘usual’ route.

On the vacuum tank. If it will fit physically, then there should be no problem with "support" of the heavier tank. The factory tank is bolted to a very solid location.

On wire length to the engine compartment. The factory wires route across the back of the rear seats (left to right) then through the firewall and one third of the way back (right to left) across the engine compt to the vacuum switch. You can lay out your Gemballa wires in advance to see if they will follow this route. You can also splice in extensions if necessary. I see no problem, however, with taking any route that will get you to the desired location. If Gemballa has a better idea, use it.

The list of parts you mention is mostly one of minor pieces. I would be surprised if the total expense was high.

Good luck.

On the vacuum tank. If it will fit physically, then there should be no problem with "support" of the heavier tank. The factory tank is bolted to a very solid location.

On wire length to the engine compartment. The factory wires route across the back of the rear seats (left to right) then through the firewall and one third of the way back (right to left) across the engine compt to the vacuum switch. You can lay out your Gemballa wires in advance to see if they will follow this route. You can also splice in extensions if necessary. I see no problem, however, with taking any route that will get you to the desired location. If Gemballa has a better idea, use it.

The list of parts you mention is mostly one of minor pieces. I would be surprised if the total expense was high.

Good luck.

Thanks Kim, I have the Porsche harness to wire it up so I thought you would be able to tell me from you recent experience how much wire there was left when you entered the engine bay.

The Gemballa tank can be seen left to the oil filler cap on the photo. The stupif thing about the set is that the gender of the hoses and connectors are reversed compared to the OEM stuff. So the y-connectors are male (small diameter) and the hoses (which are silicone) are big which makes them incompatible with the OEM parts.

Thanks Kim, I have the Porsche harness to wire it up so I thought you would be able to tell me from you recent experience how much wire there was left when you entered the engine bay.

As I recall, there was a good deal of extra wire in the two leads that run back to the engine compartment. I would estimate that I cut off several feet during the installation. Therefore, if you have the Porsche harness with the two long (pink & grey, I think) wires for the vacuum switch lead .... then the length of these wires should accomodate just about any routing to the engine.

I have almost all the parts you want as extras from my PSE install, everything but the grommets, sheath for electical connection and y-connectors. You are welcome to them. Unfortunatley, you are in Germany and I am in Chicago, USA. If you pay the shipping I am happy to send them. However, the parts are not that expensive so you may be better off just buying them locally. PM me if you want them.

I have almost all the parts you want as extras from my PSE install, everything but the grommets, sheath for electical connection and y-connectors. You are welcome to them. Unfortunatley, you are in Germany and I am in Chicago, USA. If you pay the shipping I am happy to send them. However, the parts are not that expensive so you may be better off just buying them locally. PM me if you want them.

Thanks again for the offer. I finally ended up with ordering the parts at my dealer which cost me about 95 EUR plus another 55 EUR for 4 new exhaust clamps. But I think that's still better than explaining to customs again why there's somebody in the U.S. who would send me auto parts as a gift...

Electronic install is already done and I'll be attacking the rest of the install within the next days.

Thorsten