Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How Accurate is the Electronic Oil Level Check?

I am a new owner and the previous owner said the oil was recently changed....

The OBC says that the oil is at a good level. Since i haven't checked it myself yet, I am curious as to what has been determined of the accuracy of the OBC...

thanks!

-Keith

Gator - My '99, which is *very* similar in appearance to yours (black w/ aero, 18's, and tint but no yellow in the headlights) is very inaccurate when the car is warm. I don't trust mine as far as I could throw a Buick. It *always* reads very low while a manual check reads just fine. So, I don't trust it. I'd take the two minutes while you're filling up with fuel, or before you leave for work/play, to pull the stick and take a look. Just me two cents though.

I think mine works pretty well, after a number of sanity checks of both OBC and dipstick. I definitely pay attention to the OBC, but every 2-3 weeks check the stick.

Heard you have a bit of a gator problem down there :help:

I think mine works pretty well, after a number of sanity checks of both OBC and dipstick.

Same here with my 99 C4 but that's only valid for exactly leveled surfaces. Since I've found my garage floor to be perfectly leveled it has become my reference platform. You will notice big differences in readings when you check on on angeled driveway.

Thorsten

I think mine works pretty well, after a number of sanity checks of both OBC and dipstick. I definitely pay attention to the OBC, but every 2-3 weeks check the stick.

Heard you have a bit of a gator problem down there :help:

I don't know about a Gator "problem," unless by problem you mean the over 8ft gators that walk in our neighborhood roads!

My oil level reading is reading 1 bar from the top so I think it's pretty accurate, at least when it's full :clapping:

Thanks for the input and help!

-Keith

Edited by Gator911

Mine (MY99) isin't very accurate either. I've noticed it has a tendency to read low (60% to 90%) when the oil level is perfect (check with dipstick). Also, the topmost bar (on the electronic guage) is supposed to be empty. All lit up means slightly over filled - its not a biggie but that's what the technician told me when I told him to "top it off to get rid of that topmost bar".

Edited by siddharth