Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OMG! DIY = fulltime obsession

First, an apology to VFXBOX for not getting back to you a few weeks ago. You'll see why below, and I'll be available to get together over the next few weekends...if you're still interested.

I was writing a note to Eric, over at Bumper Plugs (great guy, awesome service and products, btw), letting him know some of what I had been doing to my car...and, well, I realized that I am a man obsessed. And the first thought that popped into my mind was; go tell other people who are obsessed too, and you can all obsess together ;) Well, you might be able to find more balance in your life, but I am obsessive from time to time. And without further adu, here is a copy of what I had written to Eric and want to share with you:

...a little about my project...

The project includes a Pioneer head unit (single DIN AVIC-N3 with fold-out screen), Sirius sat, XM sat, XM Nav-Traffic (nice to have in LA), GPS nav, iPod adapter, 3 Alpine PDX amps (4x150, 2x150 and 1x1000), MB Quart speakers all around (with their 8 crossovers), 8" JL sub in a hand crafted cabinet (covered in OEM carpet to match the interior). I also deleted the spare tire and pulled the Bose system's amp out of the front-trunk, and replaced it with a compressor and tire repair kit (don't want to ruin my tires with Fix-a-Flat), and created a hidden cabinet (covered in more of the OEM carpet) to hide the crossovers and this awesome piece from Rockford Fosgate, called the three-sixty.2 interactive signal processor, which allows me to control every single speaker (individually or together in pairs or as a whole), using my Bluetooth enabled Palm device from up to 30 feet from the car. That was a last minute, absolutely stoked that I found it, type of purchase.

The only thing that I'm going to 'change' is the head unit. I'd like to sell the N3 (it's the newest Pioneer fold-out), and I've already purchased the double-din Z1 with Bluetooth (for phone, mostly) and a 30gig HDD. I guess that it's their unit to compete with the OEM units coming in a lot of cars that handle everything. Since it can play DVD's, I don't have to get a player, but it would be nice to get a screen that the passenger could put in their lap and watch a flick or play a video game on longer trips...but then we should probably just sit on the couch, right? This project has taken (conservatively) 3 weeks. I don't know how many of those times I started working at 6pm and ended at 8am or 9am, and went back to work, but it's been a lot...several of them back-to-back and back-to-back-to-back. To say that this has become an obsession would be an understatement. The folks at CEC laughed when I went in to get new wheels, because I had all of the crossovers and amps on the floor and back wall of the trunk, and they couldn't get to the wheel key.

I guess that I should state that I have had all of the windows tinted pretty dark (not the windshield, obviously) on a seal grey metallic '03 996TT, and have the black Formula GT wheels from Techart and Bridgestone Potenza S-02 tires front and rear at 30ZR18 (rear) and 40ZR18 (front) (they're SOOO much better than the Perelli's that were on it when I bought it used with 20,000 miles about 3 months ago). It was CPO at the time, but for sure couldn't get that designation again (well, besides for the obvious reason...that I'm the second owner). I also added a new intake from Evolution Motorsports (the V-Flow induction system) and have side-skirts and exhaust from Techart on the way.

Cosmetically I have done things like change the center console, delete the back windshield wiper (it rains twice a year here in LA), replaced the gold emblem on the hood with a silver one, put a carbon-fiber lid on the storage bin in the center console, CF around the hazards and ignition (and more coming for the outside mirrors and upper center console), and I have ordered a few more things coming and going on. I already have allumi-look accents on the parking brake and shifter, and i added the silver bezels around the gauges, and I just ordered the dash trim in allumi-look, a new fuse box cover in the body color (I think), etc., etc. I need to get a detail job and clean a few things up, then I'll post some pics of before, during and after, although I didn't take too many 'during' because I was so engrossed, and the after pics aren't really 'after', because i want to do more visually with the stuff that I have installed, to make it look less like...well, I installed it :).

~~~~~~~~

I know many of you have probably done much much more to your car, and some probably are shaking their heads at how few performance based changes have been made, but I'll get there. I started with what I knew, which was nothing, and went from there to the next logical place, afterall, I have 'used' a radio before :)

Thanks for reading. Ask any questions you want. Or make comments. I should note that I originally built a false bottom in the trunk, and tried to work the x-overs and amps into that, but I thought it looked sort of poop and opted for a different way to go.

BTW: any So Cal get togethers, please add me to the list of people to notify (as if there is such a thing) I'm a PCA member, but there has to be a group of people who get together privately...isn't there?

Later,

np

Hahahaha... I am fine.. I figured you are busy with your kid and.... your other kid (996TT)

Infact I took a new job in studio city OPS manager and been very busy. But weekend is for me to spend time with my little baby.... (986) Just added Valentine 1 and need oil change tomorrow. Then, install short shift from B&M and Momo knobs with boots too. I definitely want to check out your Pioneer setup. specially your AMP install... b/c I am not far behind that project. I am going pioneer all the way. ;)

After that, may be H&R coil and Bilstein shocks.... pretty much endless... YES! I am also obsessed..

:P

Edited by vfxbox

Sounds like you're having a great time being obsessed! From your post I can't tell if you are more obsessed with the car or the sound system and electronics you're installing. Or maybe obsessed with being obsessed! :-)

Sounds like you're having a great time being obsessed! From your post I can't tell if you are more obsessed with the car or the sound system and electronics you're installing. Or maybe obsessed with being obsessed! :-)

Probably obsessed with being obsessed... :D

I am going get some parts from Performance Products in Sherman Oaks after my oil change is done in the morning. May be I can check out your setup and I will bring my video camera.

I've been doing DIY to my car and help smistry007 for his 996TT Billet Diverter Valves from EVO.

Also I introduce him to Danny at "Upon3Racing" in Pasadena for his future projects.

definitely obsessed with being obsessed. looking for balance in my life, but it eludes me still. i figure that i have, imo, the finest daily driver a human can own, period (not just the TT, but Porsche in general). I am trying to make sure that the equipment that I put in it is of equal stature within it's own genre. in fact, i have changed now to a double-din (anyone want a fold-out N3 from Pioneer? it's awesome, just not what i wanted after all), and brand new dual 8" shallow profile subs from Pioneer. I have undone and redone everything, including different MB Quart speakers and all sorts of bells and whistles (Bluetooth for the phone, etc).

aside from the V-Flow intake, I think that it's getting on time for me to start focusing on the engine...once this is all buttoned up, and pictures of before, during, after (almost), during, after are posted ;)

it's amazing, really, what a human is capable of when he has been awake for 36, 42, 48, 67, 72 hours...or more :) (koo-koo...koo-koo)

~n

Probably obsessed with being obsessed... :D

I am going get some parts from Performance Products in Sherman Oaks after my oil change is done in the morning. May be I can check out your setup and I will bring my video camera.

I've been doing DIY to my car and help smistry007 for his 996TT Billet Diverter Valves from EVO.

Also I introduce him to Danny at "Upon3Racing" in Pasadena for his future projects.