Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Siphoning excess oil?

Maybe 1/8 - 1/4 quart over filled...and want to get that out. Have heard rumors about using a siphon (squeeze ball and plastic tubing) through the dipstick tube to pull out that small amount.

Anyone know if this works on our cars?

99 carerra 2

Why not just take the oil filter off and pour out the excess?

I'm a newbie at these maintenance jobs Loren...and would rather not touch anything down there if there's an 'easier' way. (not to mention I don't own the filter wrench)

I've seen posts about the siphon technique, but am wondering if it actually works...

Do you see any reason why it wouldn't, "in theory"? I'm only talking about 1/4 quart max to pull out...probably less. Or do you think that's not even worth worrying about?

Tank capacity 8.72...I added maybe 9 +/- .1 quarts.

• Moderators

People freak out about a lot of things.

Go on the PCA tech site and search under the word oil.

Here is one message, with an answer from Peter Smith. I have known Peter for 7 years since he was the shop foreman at my local dealer.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...4-B48DA3093BBD}

Peter told me that if you put way too much oil in then it can be sucked into the intake. You will know this when you start the car by the cloud of smoke. A small overfill is not going to hurt anything.

I would NEVER put too much oil in, but my evil twin has when I wasn't looking. My evil twin was able to remove oil with a 60cc plastic syringe and a long (about 3 ft) 1/8" clear tube attached to it. It goes down into the dipstick tube. A couple of pulls and voila', oil level back between the two marks.

In case you ever need to do it......

Edited by izzyandsue

Well, sounds like I might be okay from others comments...but out of curiousity (and for others reference in the future), this siphon method actually does work? And where's the best place to get a 60cc syringe?

The 60 cc I got is from an industrial supply store, about $9. You can also get them in a vet supply store. The plastic soft tube from Home Depot.

Take the plastic tube and insert it in the dipstick tube until it bottoms out. Suck the oil, dump it into a safe container, repeat. Measure the oil lever with the dipstick every 2 pulls or so.

The syringe comes in very handy when removing brake fluid from the reservoir, or removing the crankcase oil for a Tiptronic. Don't borrow your wife's turkey baster, can be dangerous....

Some people must love to make extra work and expense for themselves. 5 minutes or less to remove, empty and replace the filter canister. Is there really a need for another way? Loren gave you the correct method of doing it in the first response to this thread.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Yeah, a lot of extra work, totally exhausting sweat breaking work to open engine lid, remove the dipstick, and insert the flex tube in and draw.

But then again with the syringe, I don't have to get the ramps under the wheels, drive the rear of the car up, get on the garage floor under the car, get the torque wrench out and the filter wrench out, remove the canister, remove oil, retorque the canister, drive off the ramps, replace the ramps.

Yeah, a lot of extra work, totally exhausting sweat breaking work to open engine lid, remove the dipstick, and insert the flex tube in and draw.

But then again with the syringe, I don't have to get the ramps under the wheels, drive the rear of the car up, get on the garage floor under the car, get the torque wrench out and the filter wrench out, remove the canister, remove oil, retorque the canister, drive off the ramps, replace the ramps.

You really don't go through all that trouble to change the oil, do you? Simply get on your back, unscrew the canister, drain and put back in. Try it next time and you'll save a hell of alot of time. You definately do not need any ramps.