Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adjusting rear wing of MK1

Flying V

Hi guys!

I plan to adjust the rear spoiler of my GT3 MK1 so I can "plant" the rear of my car more to the road when going high speeds. I have never attempted to adjust it yet, and before I do so I wanted to get inputs from you guys first. How do I adjust the rear wing? Do I need to change any mechanical parts (like locks, hinges, screws/bolts etc.... that hold the flap in the spoiler together)?

Also I read somewhere that if the rear wing is adjusted, I would need to lower the front suspension of my car to compensate with the additional down force in the rear. Is this true? If so, by how many mm do I need to lower my front suspension?

Thanks and God bless!

• Admin

If you want to raise the wing all the way up then make sure you have a GT3 (cup aerokit) front bumper and the lower lip. If you lower the car do both front and rear. If you go to RoW M030 or coilovers to lower the car then you will need a supply of the lower front spoiler lip - since you will knock it off or scrape it in normal street driving.

I run mine in the middle postion without any additional lowering. Lowering will definitely improve front end lift/floatyness above 120 MPH.

Thanks for the quick reply!

As you mentioned, you adjusted your wing to the middle position without any additional lowering. How does the car feel now compared when the wing was in the original setting (particularly in high speeds)? Since you get more down force in the back on high speeds, does it affect the front end of the car in terms of handling and feel? I dont want the front end of my car to feel "floaty"....

Thanks again!!!

• Admin

Unless you lower your car the front end will start to feel floaty above 120-130 MPH. This is true regardless of the rear spoiler settings and is even worse with the stock spoiler. IMHO

I see a little added downforce on the rear at track speeds that I think helps in some of the higher speed turns. Granted most of my track experience with it is at Laguna Seca which is not a very high speed track.

Dear All,

I have not had chance to read all the replies on this topic, but just wanted to add,

We carried out many external analyses both using CFD and wind tunnel techniques to fine tune the exact characteristics of the GT3 rear wing. The design is specifically modelled to interact perfectly with the vehicle body.

Indeed adjusting the rear wing will improve the -ve lift, and as mentioned will encourage the front end to yaw, but by reducing the front suspension so the car sit at a slightly different angle is counter acting your adjustments to the rear wing.

You best bet to help this yawing effect is to look in to an alternative bumper design, that forces the air to flow around the car and not under it, just as a splitter does. To improve it further, you could look at deeper side sill, but try not to ruin the aesthetic pleasure of the vehicle. These additions help to produce a vacuum under the car, as first achieved by Lotus Race Engineering back in the 70's.

Hope this helps

Feel free to ask any questions

Thanks for your inputs!

Can anyone suggestions what front spoiler kit I can buy that can improve the down force in the front end of my car...... taking into consideration I want to maintain as much as possible the original look of my mk1?

Thanks and God bless!