Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Painting the Brakes DIY

I have a MY00 with the SSR GT2 rims, they are a 5 spoke open style 3 piece rim. I have a silver car, with color matched rims. I have changed out the side maker lights etc. I was going for that Mono color look.

BUT...

I thought that I might paint the brakes bright red. I think that would really set of the car. Is this DIY project or should I have a shop do it? Next how do I get the Porsche logo back on there. I will do a photo log of this project and post it if anybody can point me in the right dir.

Thank guys

I have a MY00 with the SSR GT2 rims, they are a 5 spoke open style 3 piece rim. I have a silver car, with color matched rims. I have changed out the side maker lights etc. I was going for that Mono color look.

BUT...

I thought that I might paint the brakes bright red. I think that would really set of the car. Is this DIY project or should I have a shop do it? Next how do I get the Porsche logo back on there. I will do a photo log of this project and post it if anybody can point me in the right dir.

Thank guys

This thread has the info you need to do the job - DIY of course.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6148&hl=

Good luck,

Ed

BUT...

Thank guys

This thread has the info you need to do the job - DIY of course.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6148&hl=

Good luck,

Ed

thanks thats perfect

I just finished painting the calipers on my Boxster, and I would recommend not going the G2 caliper paint route. I tried it, and the calipers looked like absolute crap - there are a few other people on PPBB that had the same results. I stripped that off, and got some hi-temp Duplicolor engine paint. I cleaned the calipers with brake cleaner (take your time with this step, and make sure that the calipers are completely clean). I then sprayed a good coat of the Duplicolor (I used black), let that dry for a day, then sprayed two coats of Duplicolor hi-temp clear coat. I did put caliper decals on after the paint, but before the clear.

My calipers now look they came off a brand new car. It's a lot easier to spray paint on the calipers than to try to brush on the epoxy in an even coat.

Just my two cents.

Edited by steve_wilwerding

I've tried using Duplicolor in the past... You have to make sure you do it very evenly and thinly, per coat. It's a very watery paint so drips very easily (a zero-G environment would be perfect for painting!). Also, make you sure you do ALL coats within one hour. If you have to stop you will have to wait a full 7 days before doing the next coat (ask me how I know! The paint creases almost like magic if you don't!).

I have only used the cheap Duplicolor method so that I know what colour I want though. I will ultimately powder-coat the calipers - which is the ultimate professional method of painting these, and lasts pretty much forever. If you know for sure you want to change the colour, I'd suggest powder-coating them - but it can be a lot more expensive (still cheaper than new calipers though).

Thanks!

Shash

I've tried using Duplicolor in the past... You have to make sure you do it very evenly and thinly, per coat. It's a very watery paint so drips very easily (a zero-G environment would be perfect for painting!). Also, make you sure you do ALL coats within one hour. If you have to stop you will have to wait a full 7 days before doing the next coat (ask me how I know! The paint creases almost like magic if you don't!).

I have only used the cheap Duplicolor method so that I know what colour I want though. I will ultimately powder-coat the calipers - which is the ultimate professional method of painting these, and lasts pretty much forever. If you know for sure you want to change the colour, I'd suggest powder-coating them - but it can be a lot more expensive (still cheaper than new calipers though).

Thanks!

Shash

Hey thanks for the help everybody. If it ever stops raining in Boston I will give it a try. Has anybody had issuse's with the decal's coming off due to heat? Or does the clear coat prevant that?

Thanks

PR

If it ever stops raining in Boston I will give it a try. Has anybody had issuse's with the decal's coming off due to heat? Or does the clear coat prevant that?

Thanks

PR

I don't think this rain is ever going to stop!

A friend of mine North of Boston sprayed his silver recently, decals, clear coat etc. They look great and seem to be holding up just fine. I think he sprayed them on the car but can check if needed, I think he just masked it off and sprayed away.

Chris (North of Boston)