Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Apparent Coolant leak

My 99 C4 seems to be invisibly leaking coolant. I first noticed about 2 weeks ago when the temp warning light started flashing just after 2 hard accelerations on 2 different days. So, check the manuals and here, phoned the dealer who said it was a coolant level problem so I checked it when it was cold and yep, the coolant was barely in the expansion tank.

So, I ordered coolant and refilled the tank 50/50 on Saturday morning. Seemed fine all day even under hard acceleration. The temp guage is just about at the right side of the 8 while driving and while at lights it drifts to cover the left of the zero.

I checked the coolant level this morning, Sun, and it's down at min again in just one day. I refilled it this morning, drove the car around 20 miles and now Sun eve, it's back at min again and may drop further as it cools tonight.

So, I guess it's dealer time? Anything I should know? I placed newspaper under the engine today but saw no leaks at all.

I noticed a lot of TSBs wrt cooling, anything obvious I should arm my self with before visiting the dealer? I have a non factory warranty on the car now so hopefully, it will cover this.

My biggest question is the dealer says it serviced the car at 15k, I bought at 17k. Is this something they could have spotted at that time or does it just happen?

Billy

• Admin

There were a number of cooling related problems on early MY99 cars that should have already been taken care of. They include:

- a new tank design for both leaks and random coolant light flashing

- a new coolant tank cap (leaks)

- new hose clamps for some that leaked

If it is any of these problems then a "good" dealer would work with PCNA to try and get you repaired under warranty or at least with a reduced cost.

Worst case most of these things are relatively easy to fix for the DIY'er. Search the DIY section for tank replacement instructions if you need to do this.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

Whats the 'normal' level of coolant in the tank when the engine is cold? I have to say I don't know. I'm thinking that filling to max when cold is a bad idea, i.e., when it gets hot, it overflows and then when it's cold, it's down at close to min again. If this is the case, then refilling it is a waste of time, it'll just end up on the ground anyway.

I refilled it this morinng in any case and drove it 10 miles to work and the level in the tank was .5cm above max and looked like above the level of the overflow hose attached to the tank. Does this mean it's now overflowing?

I plan on just driving it for the next couple of days and checking the level when cold, maybe, min when cold is 'normal' and if it stays level like that then I don't think I have a problem.

Any advice apprec.

• Admin
Whats the 'normal' level of coolant in the tank when the engine is cold?
Right at the Max mark. When I refilled mine (after installing the 3rd radiator) it has stayed there regardless of temperature.

As I said before, some of the early tanks gave erroneous low coolant signals.